Hmm, Samara has a lumpy thing on the side of her beak. I think that's what Shep has been picking at.
View attachment 3750439
View attachment 3750440
View attachment 3750454
View attachment 3750455
Doesn't seem to be bothering her. It reminds me of when my fingernails seperate into layers and peel up a little. I'll keep an eye on it.

In other news, Samara would like to be reconsidered for the "bearded ladies" club. She was already in the "cheeky poof chicks" but she says she really does have a beard, she just needed a good bath to show it off!
View attachment 3750456
Such a lovely girl - I love her jaunty tail 💕 and of course her beard too 😊

Last edited:
Hubby says that in a few years we'll let them raise babies. We'll decide then whether to get hatching eggs or buy chicks. He says the brooder was fine but if a hen can raise them that seems better.
Buy pullet chicks and shove them under a broody hen - this way you don’t worry about roosters and you can get any breed you wish! And the hen will raise them!

Sorry to bore everyone, but somehow for me this continues to be magical.
My five layers all gifted me an egg today. From back left: Bernie, Babs, Pooh, Piglet, and Tassels.
No contributions yet from Sylvie or Calypso. I looked up my records and Bernadette hatched on Feb 3, 2022 and laid her first egg on Feb 24, 2023. So a year minus 3 weeks.
If Calypso is trying to beat that record she will have to hold out until the last week of March (she hatched April 17th, 2023)
View attachment 3750522
I’m getting very few eggs.
So, please send me your eggs to PO BOX 3584- 912 Exeter CV California. Thanks 😊

Buy pullet chicks and shove them under a broody hen - this way you don’t worry about roosters and you can get any breed you wish! And the hen will raise them!
Good idea! And she'll be okay in the main coop and run with the others? Or should we keep the mini coop for them until ready to integrate?

Good idea! And she'll be okay in the main coop and run with the others? Or should we keep the mini coop for them until ready to integrate?
Well once they are about a week old I let my mums out and about supervised. Everyone pretty much ignores them because they are with their mum.

I do have to watch out because the mamas can be nervous and pick fights with anyone who gets too close. If it’s a subordinate mama then they can get picked one for such behaviour. But I just keep an eye out and so t let anyone get too close. After a week it’s business as usual, and of course by then at two weeks old the chicks are great at running away and hiding if anyone pesters them.

It was the same with the chicks my niece hatched at her school, they arrived here at about 2.5 week old, I put them out with my gang who just ignored them.

School chicks
764BCB73-1764-49C6-8FA8-2471ABD837A6.jpeg
E74091D6-583C-4FEB-BB63-5F74CEFA7156.jpeg
7DC63CB8-1B53-4FFE-AB21-A964F6CBA6A2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom