buk, buk, buk, buk, GROWL.
Place your bets:
Who is planning on going broody this year here? Is it the Dominiques? Is it Agathae? Is it the Butt Orpingtons?
It's Agathae. Again.
You kind of gave it away as Agathae was the only one specifically mentioned. "The Dominiques...plural; 'Butt Orpintogns', again plural.

Beaks and toenails - advice needed.

Ever since I read here that beaks and toenails may sometimes need trimming I have been trying to see if my lot are OK.
I think they are, but any input or advice is most welcome.

Babs seems to have quite short nails - consistent with her status as master-digger. I missed out on her beak so will look at that later.
View attachment 3772746

Piglet posed for her toenail and beak shot. WDYT? Tienails a bit long?
View attachment 3772747

Bernie seems to have one toenail out at an angle. Is it getting too long? Trimming Bernie’s toenails might require professional assistance so I am hoping they are OK.
View attachment 3772748

View attachment 3772750

Tassels also posed. Look OK?
View attachment 3772752

Thanks for your help everyone.
I think they’ve been inside and not digging a whole lot all winter. I mean, they will be digging around outside much more vigorously as the Spring comes in. So I say wait and reassess. Also, they need their nails for defense. I don’t see anything curling in too much. PS Bernie’s opposite toe also angles back.

Beaks and toenails - advice needed.

Ever since I read here that beaks and toenails may sometimes need trimming I have been trying to see if my lot are OK.
I think they are, but any input or advice is most welcome.

Babs seems to have quite short nails - consistent with her status as master-digger. I missed out on her beak so will look at that later.
View attachment 3772746

Piglet posed for her toenail and beak shot. WDYT? Tienails a bit long?
View attachment 3772747

Bernie seems to have one toenail out at an angle. Is it getting too long? Trimming Bernie’s toenails might require professional assistance so I am hoping they are OK.
View attachment 3772748

View attachment 3772750

Tassels also posed. Look OK?
View attachment 3772752

Thanks for your help everyone.
For what it is worth, from the photos, all looked okay except for Bernie's nail on the twisted toe. See how it is starting to curl a bit? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Pick her up off the roost after dark, bundle her up like a bunting....and take a human nail file to the nail. (You can use the disposable cardboard ones, or, do like I do, and get a decent metal human nail file - then I can disinfect it between uses (I know, probably over-kill...but I've seen where those feet have been!)

What I could see of the beaks looks fine - but I, honestly, feel I do better regarding that with an hands-on, in person inspection so I can check it out from multiple angles.

Jaffar update: he’s lost some vision in his good eye. The comb is healing nicely. His torn wattle is probably permanent but healing well too. I have to guide him to his feed bowl and water bowl. Brave little man!
The vet or anyone in the emergencies thread advise anything to help what’s left of his good eye? :hugs You are brave too. Keep up the good work, keep your chin up too. This is a tough situation with your neighbor. Consider aviary netting, maybe it could work, maybe not, but if nothing else maybe set it up across the top of your fence where that rooster comes over, it could be sort of vertically erected maybe?

You kind of gave it away as Agathae was the only one specifically mentioned. "The Dominiques...plural; 'Butt Orpintogns', again plural.
I do think she needs to hatch chicks to be satisfied. Last year she almost died being broody. I think if she hatches she'll have some nice chicks to put a end to her going broody.

For what it is worth, from the photos, all looked okay except for Bernie's nail on the twisted toe. See how it is starting to curl a bit? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Pick her up off the roost after dark, bundle her up like a bunting....and take a human nail file to the nail. (You can use the disposable cardboard ones, or, do like I do, and get a decent metal human nail file - then I can disinfect it between uses (I know, probably over-kill...but I've seen where those feet have been!)

What I could see of the beaks looks fine - but I, honestly, feel I do better regarding that with an hands-on, in person inspection so I can check it out from multiple angles.
Oh goodness! Gulp.
I will source a metal nail file and a very stiff drink!
IMG_3649.jpeg

buk, buk, buk, buk, GROWL.
Place your bets:
Who is planning on going broody this year here? Is it the Dominiques? Is it Agathae? Is it the Butt Orpingtons?
It's Agathae. Again.
I am Orpington biased so Orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom