Oh ya I know that look well also, I have been sneaking out to the manure pile today so the girls don’t see me and want ‘attention’, but alas they have better hearing than me so they found me. I am grungy my nails are filthy and I have horse hay up my nose and I just found a silkie feather in my hair haha it’s white so like Fluffy. I think she is moulting I see white fluffy feathers everywhere.

I have found another large opening in the loft floor I had forgotten about so that will need to be covered and that means riding won’t happen.

But I just needed to sit down and take a break so I have joined the sunbathing beauties club.

View attachment 3794571

Have to say I am sure glad you’re getting back to doing some enjoyable tasks 😊💕
My kind of woman! (Just saying)

I hear you, I am pooped - sitting here relaxing and what do I see more blood on Mr P and it looks like his wattle is torn - well what the heck now 😟

I will deal with this tonight when he is roosting - I am too tired to chase him down. I just bet him and Bert have been scrapping- now where is the little prince so o can check him out….

View attachment 3794572
Could be one of the ladies saying "back off I have a headache!"

Pony Sunday.
My neighbour's cows have been on pasture during the day in the property just above us for the last three weeks.They were very curious about what was going on in our place.
IMG_20240402_094911.jpg

They are back home now because one of the cows birthed a calf this friday.
The old horse, Gribouille, is still with them. In the evening, they all hang out on the lawn in front of my neighbour's house with the chickens and the dogs. They seem to get along very well ! But my neighbour says that now she has to give the old horse a treat to get him back to their night enclosure, otherwise he stays stubbornly in front of their house...and he refuses to share with the cows 🙂.

Could be one of the ladies saying "back off I have a headache!"
He is very respectful - I have never seen him jump on a hen, if they turn their back he walks away - he is extremely good. I have never heard a hen squawk or scream at him for trying to breed them, in fact I didn’t even think he was breeding them but I caught him at it and the hen didn’t even make a noise. That was a surprise to me after so many young randy Roos here.

Which is why I and likely the silkies are so surprised about Teddy. He sure doesn’t take no for an answer. And there is no quiet courtship that’s for sure!

I am hopeful that Bert is learning from his Dada, he has been pretty good this weekend with being more respectful with the hens, but I have caught him twice going after poor old Red which earned him a good thump from me as he didn’t see me seeing him!

Pony Sunday.
My neighbour's cows have been on pasture during the day in the property just above us for the last three weeks.They were very curious about what was going on in our place.
View attachment 3794605
They are back home now because one of the cows birthed a calf this friday.
The old horse, Gribouille, is still with them. In the evening, they all hang out on the lawn in front of my neighbour's house with the chickens and the dogs. They seem to get along very well ! But my neighbour says that now she has to give the old horse a treat to get him back to their night enclosure, otherwise he stays stubbornly in front of their house...and he refuses to share with the cows 🙂.
Wow the old boy still around, likely because he is being taken care of better.

Cows are curious funny creatures - ❤️😊

It’s a glorious day here warm sunny light breeze and a nice big muddy puddle to splash in 😊

8A4C40B4-3C30-434A-886C-AF3DDDDD25C8.jpeg
247693B7-70E2-46C4-8CF0-002167319310.jpeg
6F602C50-09AD-47DA-8246-C20A7B2CC736.jpeg

Red is doing really well, in fact all my niece’s hens are doing well for old ladies - I have a lot of geriatric hens here!

Penelope 8yrs
Blanche, and Sophia 6 yrs
Raven, Larry, Red and Sharpie all 5 yrs.

The silkies are 3 this year. And Dorothy and Rose are 2.5yrs old. I would say Mr P is 3 also if the lady I got him from was truthful.

Everyone is getting older.

Coop drama.

I was in taking pics of the babies (not for today). 1. Chia laid an egg on "mama hen pad".

2. Enigma and Blanche were working on eggs in boxes 1 & 3 of upper bank. Egg in 3 of upper bank (Mera). Nellie sitting in corner floor spot.

4. Nellie got up and went for food (no egg).

5. Primula came in, sat in floor nest.

6. Nellie decided she wasn't done.
20240407_134632.jpg
Went for feet until head was lifted, then the head.

7. Persistence pays off.
20240407_134440.jpg
Primula protesting (She's almost as loud as Nellie).

8. Nellie decided sitting some more took lower priority and ran her out.
20240407_134756.jpg

9. Floor spot wasn't good enough now.
20240407_135117.jpg
Had to have box 1 upper bank, currently occupied by Blanche (higher ranked). Calling for help ousting her (can she squawk louder on just one foot? She seems to think so).

10. I started to leave them to it....
20240407_135246.jpg
Primula fetched help.

When I came in, both girls were in the coop squawking and Hector was standing outside echoing their fuss.

Well, well, well, I still have it. I personally have neglected the horses and stalls for a good year and a half now. I did not have time to do outside chores. I went out yesterday afternoon for an egg swoop. Noticed a hen in Russ's stall so went in to see if she had an egg, she didn't. Scratched Russ's butt a second and spied the pitch fork leaning against the stall. Before, if it did not require a deep clean I could have a stall spotless in about 15 minutes. That allowed time to scratch on said horse, shove their butt out of the way and such. It took about 20 minutes start to finish. Russ was itchy, he is shedding and he kept getting in the way asking for a butt scratching. Once I was done I grabbed the ShedEz tool and went to town on him. Ahh springtime, I came in wearing more horse hair then he has on him. Rosie popped her head out of the door to scold me. Yes, I know it is not smart to wear crocs out working with the horses. Do not follow my example and go away, dishes are calling your name.
Haha. You gotta love it when horses are shedding.

Whenever I was not wearing boots around the horses, they would step on my feet. I swear they could tell that I wasn’t wearing boots. Luckily whenever the Shetland pony did it, it wouldn’t hurt.
Oh, her bites did though. She turned around and bit me once when I was leading a very young kid on her. I wacked her, and she started sidestepping with the little kid on her. She but me way more times than that though. I miss riding that little pony. She was so much fun.
IMG_1168.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom