Hi All,

I am still so far behind! I think I am making progress...only to log on the next day and see that there were 16 pages since I was last logged in.:th:eek::th

What I really, really wanted to share, though, is this:
Migle_watercolor_BR.png

This is from a colleague of mine - she left it on my desk Friday when I was remote, with a very sweet card. I never knew she painted - she didn't realize that BRs are my favorite breed! (( no worries, @rural mouse, DCs are a close second - but for very different reasons, with very different personalities)

I post this/say this because: I have been having some personal issues - and the wonderful warmth from some I have confided in - both here and 2 at work - has just brought me to tears - in a wonderful way.

Thank you all - just for being the wonderful people you are. The way you all rallied around Alex and others when they were/are down. Please - all of you - every last one = give yourself a hug and be kind to yourself. You are wonderful people that make others feel loved - even if you don't know you are doing it at the moment. I wish the world was filled with more people like you all on here (FBA). I suspect there wouldn't be anymore wars (maybe a skirmish or two - but all things that would be resolved once people had a chance to reflect.)

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart - just for being kind 'you'.

Mushiness tax:

Plymouth Barred Rock Baby Chicks ...
A heritage BR

Cornish Chickens | Oklahoma State ...
Dark Cornish. (80+% of all my DC girls have a broodie tendancy!)

OMG they are so pretty! I have a thing for blue chooks! But oh, they are all so stunning!

Blue happens to be my favorite chickens too!

Blue Breda -- "Phaedra"
DSCN6019.JPG

"Phaedra" again
DSCN6056.JPG

Blue Breda cockerel -- "Ichabod"
Jen's pic of Ichabod 5-20-2015.jpg

Blue Breda -- "Tova" and "Kaylah"
DSCN7977.JPG

Blue Breda -- "Tova"
DSCN8185.JPG

Blue Silkie -- "Betta"
BETTA 15  03-24-2024.jpg

Blue happens to be my favorite chickens too!

Blue Breda -- "Phaedra"
View attachment 3852890

"Phaedra" again
View attachment 3852892

Blue Breda cockerel -- "Ichabod"
View attachment 3852898

Blue Breda -- "Tova" and "Kaylah"
View attachment 3852894

Blue Breda -- "Tova"
View attachment 3852897

Blue Silkie -- "Betta"
View attachment 3852908
They are so pretty! Are they house chickens? If my dogs were good with other animals, I’d have multiple house chickens 🥰

Unfortunately, I don’t have any blue chickens yet. Although, I’m thinking that my EE mix cockerel is blue and black, but he’s only six weeks so I can’t tell yet. @rural mouse, I saw a bit of red on his shoulder when I caught him today!

I'm sure you probably already know this so forgive my post -- Make sure there's no onions or onion powder in the ingredients. Onions are just as toxic to chickens as to dogs.

1) Poisonous ingestion is immediately lethal
2) Toxic ingestion causes mild to severe reactions -- can be slowly lethal
Really? You sure about that? Mine certainly don’t love onion, but they have definitely had small amounts of it in various ways.

Hi All,

I am still so far behind! I think I am making progress...only to log on the next day and see that there were 16 pages since I was last logged in.:th:eek::th

View attachment 3852882
You think YOU'RE BEHIND?! I broke my humerus arm bone on May 6 and when I got back to my 'puter a couple days ago I was about 300 pgs behind and still have about 250 more to catch up!!!

BTW -- love the picture. I love Dominiques -- BRs & Dominiques were the same breed at one time but BRs became straight comb & Doms rose combs ("The American Dominique -- A Treatise for the Fancier" by Mark Fields)

Hi All,

View attachment 3852882

This is from a colleague of mine - she left it on my desk Friday when I was remote, with a very sweet card. I never knew she painted - she didn't realize that BRs are my favorite breed! (( no worries, @rural mouse, DCs are a close second - but for very different reasons, with very different personalities)

I post this/say this because: I have been having some personal issues - and the wonderful warmth from some I have confided in - both here and 2 at work - has just brought me to tears - in a wonderful way.

Thank you all - just for being the wonderful people you are. The way you all rallied around Alex and others when they were/are down. Please - all of you - every last one = give yourself a hug and be kind to yourself. You are wonderful people that make others feel loved - even if you don't know you are doing it at the moment. I wish the world was filled with more people like you all on here (FBA). I suspect there wouldn't be anymore wars (maybe a skirmish or two - but all things that would be resolved once people had a chance to reflect.)

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart - just for being kind 'you'.

Mushiness tax:

View attachment 3852889
A heritage BR

View attachment 3852891
Dark Cornish. (80+% of all my DC girls have a broodie tendancy!)
:hugs :hugs

Awww. Lovely painting and can you tell Babs about the broody thing? She is STILL laying every day. I worry so much that it will wear her out though she seems very healthy right now.
Today she took a break from digging up stuff to have a bit of a nap in the sun.
🥰

IMG_6729.jpeg

They are so pretty! Are they house chickens? If my dogs were good with other animals, I’d have multiple house chickens 🥰

Unfortunately, I don’t have any blue chickens yet. Although, I’m thinking that my EE mix cockerel is blue and black, but he’s only six weeks so I can’t tell yet. @rural mouse, I saw a bit of red on his shoulder when I caught him today!
Pic, pic! And that pic of 2 sunbathing you posted today. The one in front is blue and gold.

Then get busy & train another little buddy to ride along since you indicated you train from chicks! No, just messing! I know how hard it is to lose a special bird. Either a bird makes a special connection or not -- very rare.

Our chickens today are not for meat or eggs but as pets -- eggs are just a bonus. I asked DH after our property remodel that we now had room for one dog, or one cat, or a couple pet Silkies so choose -- and he chose chickens. I'm a farm girl so any animal he picked was fine w/ me! We're zoned for 5 hens/no roos. We have 6 backyard birds -- one aging standard Dominique and 5 Silkies (each Silkie counts as 1/2 a chicken -- right?) We've cycled thru a couple dozen different breeds in almost 14 yrs but now our last birds will be Silkies again in our twilight years :old

Chickens and all types of livestock and Sunkist citrus groves had turns growing on my folks' farm:

Chickens, ducks, & geese were a staple on the farm cuz Mom baked a lot of breads and cakes w/ their eggs.

Am I not a fancy farm girl? Use magnifiers to see antique pic!
c. 1940's
View attachment 3852609
I have to say, my rooster Sir Jaffar, was not a pet actually. We had a certain respect for each other and we were very aware of each other’s needs. He trusted me with his life and was always respondent to me.

@RoyalChick -- Just throwing this out there -- foods to avoid for chickens is about the same as foods to avoid for dogs.

Here's some websites I consult to be on the safer side:

https://www.grit.com/uncategorized/...oxic-to-dogs-cats-and-chickens/#axzz3KpE7wOXl
https://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20160313051928/http://poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

Read a veterinary article about a man whose ailing little Yorkie got symptoms of a type of leukemia and it got traced back to his feeding a restaurant steak smothered in grilled onions to the little dog who later passed. That scared me enough to research safe foods for chickens w/ my vet.

Chicken owners all seem to like dickering about toxic vs safe foods. For myself I looked up toxicity of garden bushes, trees, or vegetables before planting on our property so I decided never to plant potatoes, onions, garlic in the raised beds or plant an avocado tree. We bird-net cover our tomato plants to keep hens from chewing the leaves/vines which are toxic to humans and animals -- even bees, butterflies, & hummingbirds avoid the blossoms. Insects avoid tomato leaves, vines, or fruit except maybe pesky horned tomato worms or spider mites but most common garden insects like crickets, grasshoppers, earwigs, beetles, etc wont slumber in tomato plants. Even slugs and snails hi-tail it away from tomato garden beds.

Chickens in open free range will select good greens to eat but confined yard chickens will eat bad greens/leaves if no safe greens are made available.

Every owner can make their own choices :)

Back
Top Bottom