Thanks for explaining and for putting this out on honey. I never imagined it it could be a risk for chickens !
Yes, having a vet option is wonderful but it's not always possible. We have a vet we trust at about 80%, but the issue for us is that it is a very long stressful drive. She will give advice by phone or mail and exceptionally send prescriptions by mail if it's urgent.

I treat my chicken's health like my own. If there is a reasonable, well researched homemade remedy, or one that is harmless, I will use it, but I will also definitely see the doctor or vet and use modern medications when it seems appropriate.

Yes, me too. Kelly, I hope this doesn't come out blunt, but shouldn't you downsize your flock ? Why have so many chickens if you can't see them for half the year?
I know you have to take care of your senior horses and I realise that is a huge cost. But wouldn't there be some other way ?

I think vet care is comparatively cheaper here, although with the differences in life costs and salaries it's hard to say. I had two hens undergo surgery with full anesthesia for bumblefoot. I paid 80 and 100 euros ; one was more complex to operate as there was no scab and the abscess was in the middle of the foot and had to be opened from above. To give an idea, our monthly medium wage is 2500 euros, and our minimum wage 1300. The most expensive operation I paid for a chicken was Caramel's ovariectomy, which she did not survive. That was 300 euros and included four days of hospitalisation and several imagery. Don't get me wrong, that's about 3/4 of what I need to live here for a month, but it still seems more affordable than in the US and Canada.

Mugs after so much talk about money. My last ex-batt, Nougat, is very unwell. I was certain the other chickens would be very mean to her once she would come near the end as she has been such a bully, but it's quite the opposite- they are all taking turns in the run to keep her company.

Nougat
View attachment 3871331
Tiny broodies locked out of the coop- Chipie and Merle
View attachment 3871326
Merle
View attachment 3871327
Laure
View attachment 3871328
Gaston. I was very upset that he mated Nougat yesterday and almost killed her. But I suppose it's my fault for not separating them. Today he was more careful with my chaperoning him.
View attachment 3871329
Chipie
View attachment 3871333
Such a lovely flock.
Those vet bills are very different indeed - I wonder how much a vet earns in each country.

UGH! That little Minx!

Sylvie gave every impression of being over her broodiness this morning. So I let her out on day release.
First thing she does is jump out of her cage, give a mighty roar, and run back to the nest.
Here she is flaring up at Piglet just before jumping in.
And in worrying news, Piglet has also started making broody noises.
My poor chicken carer will be kept busy it seems dealing with these crazy ladies when I am away!
View attachment 3871304
Oh I am so sorry to laugh, but I do feel your pain. At least you hen hasn’t attacked you in a fit of anger over not being allowed access to the nest.

Thanks for explaining and for putting this out on honey. I never imagined it it could be a risk for chickens !
Yes, having a vet option is wonderful but it's not always possible. We have a vet we trust at about 80%, but the issue for us is that it is a very long stressful drive. She will give advice by phone or mail and exceptionally send prescriptions by mail if it's urgent.

I treat my chicken's health like my own. If there is a reasonable, well researched homemade remedy, or one that is harmless, I will use it, but I will also definitely see the doctor or vet and use modern medications when it seems appropriate.

Yes, me too. Kelly, I hope this doesn't come out blunt, but shouldn't you downsize your flock ? Why have so many chickens if you can't see them for half the year?
I know you have to take care of your senior horses and I realise that is a huge cost. But wouldn't there be some other way ?

I think vet care is comparatively cheaper here, although with the differences in life costs and salaries it's hard to say. I had two hens undergo surgery with full anesthesia for bumblefoot. I paid 80 and 100 euros ; one was more complex to operate as there was no scab and the abscess was in the middle of the foot and had to be opened from above. To give an idea, our monthly medium wage is 2500 euros, and our minimum wage 1300. The most expensive operation I paid for a chicken was Caramel's ovariectomy, which she did not survive. That was 300 euros and included four days of hospitalisation and several imagery. Don't get me wrong, that's about 3/4 of what I need to live here for a month, but it still seems more affordable than in the US and Canada.

Mugs after so much talk about money. My last ex-batt, Nougat, is very unwell. I was certain the other chickens would be very mean to her once she would come near the end as she has been such a bully, but it's quite the opposite- they are all taking turns in the run to keep her company.

Nougat
View attachment 3871331
View attachment 3871326
Merle
View attachment 3871327
Laure
View attachment 3871328
Gaston. I was very upset that he mated Nougat yesterday and almost killed her. But I suppose it's my fault for not separating them. Today he was more careful with my chaperoning him.
View attachment 3871329
Chipie
View attachment 3871333
I have to say you have some really splendid chooks there - just beautiful 😊♥️

Oh I am so sorry to laugh, but I do feel your pain. At least you hen hasn’t attacked you in a fit of anger over not being allowed access to the nest.
This is true. Both Sylvie and Tassels wage a more subtle and covert war.
Piglet however will absolutely attack.

Nougat
View attachment 3871331
View attachment 3871326
Merle
View attachment 3871327
Laure
View attachment 3871328
View attachment 3871329
Chipie
View attachment 3871333
No offence taken what so ever, the horses take up the majority of my barn work (about an hour a day), they have to have stalls done, water buckets changed out, hay nets filled.

Chickens: 10 or 100 it’s the same amt of work, I still have to pick poops, fill water bowls, and food stations, that’s about 20 minutes a day in actual work.

Truthfully I spend a LOT of time just wasting time - I will go out in the paddock to check something and before I know it I have spent 40 min talking to horses, checking feet, scratching them….. or with the chickens I will go to see what they are up to and someone will want attention and there goes another 40 minutes - friggin time thieves all of them! Or maybe I am just easily distracted….

My big issue is with the other side of things, like mortgage utilities etc. that’s my big expenses and worry - since Covid lockdown costs have been insane, fuel, food and material items, utilities, all have skyrocketed. It’s crazy! It’s no wonder people have high debt here these days - I really don’t know how people can have all the high end cars and houses with granite counter tops etc! I want to know where they work! I can guarantee it’s not in this area - I am sure they commute to Toronto every day, I did that commute and I am not willing to spend 3-4 hours a day commuting.

Right now I have a 20 minute drive to work, so is it worth the lower pay?

All I can say is, I am just thankful the chickens pay for their feed and part of the horses grain. Now if only they could pay my land tax 😉

Life whining tax

Teeheehee - silly silkie chicks from last June 2023
1705FA06-84B1-484E-9065-C3AD389DEFE9.jpeg

Coming home yesterday and I saw one of these hanging out around the edge of our property near where my chickens free range.
View attachment 3869752
The wing span was just enormous. Beautiful bird but also scary. It seems to have the area and thankfully left the chickens alone.
That is a great photo!

O
Happy Mugs Monday everyone.

The goslings are growing like weeds!

Yesterday morning's pic (and, yes, that is the same dishbin as the original pic - if I am not quick with their pen cleanout - they now hop out of the dishbin and frolic!:barnie )
View attachment 3871310
View attachment 3871311(just for comparison - 2 weeks ago:View attachment 3871324

In good news, though, I have today and tomorrow off - so as long as it doesn't rain, I will have their new outdoor coop ready/finished. and with bedding and a cozy box with extra bedding, they should be okay without heat. If it is going to cool off too much at night, I can bring them in in the evening for another week - more than a week and they will just plain old be too big for their brooder.

And, look, their wings are finally starting to grow!:gig
View attachment 3871313
Oh my gosh! They are just so adorable and yes their wings are sprouting. It sure doesn’t take them long to grow does it?

Back
Top Bottom