I woke up, I think it's a bit warm here tonight.
1000002390.jpg

😢😢The goslings are now out in their small coop. I am already missing my snuggles. I would get snuggles every morning and evening when I cleaned out their brooder. And the past few days I had them out with me in a small pen when I was working on their future coop (rehabbing a small broody/breeding mobile coop). They would peep, peep, peep at me whenever I would talk to me little 'gee-gees'. The house is so quiet right now😢😢😢.

This will work for a bit, until I have my new duck/goose coop completed (it is roughly 1/2 done now - hoping to have it completed by next weekend at the. latest - might have it completed this weekend if weather permits.

😢😢The goslings are now out in their small coop. I am already missing my snuggles. I would get snuggles every morning and evening when I cleaned out their brooder. And the past few days I had them out with me in a small pen when I was working on their future coop (rehabbing a small broody/breeding mobile coop). They would peep, peep, peep at me whenever I would talk to me little 'gee-gees'. The house is so quiet right now😢😢😢.

This will work for a bit, until I have my new duck/goose coop completed (it is roughly 1/2 done now - hoping to have it completed by next weekend at the. latest - might have it completed this weekend if weather permits.
You should go out then and give them cuddles.

Gosling tax is obligatory as soon as possible, please.

I remember this!

How has your ankle been? Does it bother you?

I must say your flock has grown into a beautiful group of hens and Roos ♥️
It has grown, as have they, and I have loved having them. Who knew “just chickens” could bring so much joy. They really are so much more than that aren’t they?

My ankle has a fair bit of hardware in there holding it together but it is pain free for the time being and with some luck it will stay that way. It took several months to heal completely. Time enough to read many, many pages of stories here. I did end up making it all the way through!

The 13+ years continued saga:

2014 -- With only 3 gentle temperament hens left after giving up our two lovely but bully Leghorns we needed to add at least one more bird. With one timid Ameraucana "Taffy" and two gentle Silkies "Violet" and "Mini" left in the yard what new breed(s) to introduce that were not aggressive?

VIOLET, TAFFY, MINI -- such gentle sweet girls
View attachment 3874019

Research into a new breed imported from the Netherlands by Greenfire Farms was the Blue/Black/Splash BREDA's -- what gorgeous birds and reportedly calm temperaments. So we found an out-of-state private breeder who had both pure Blue Ameraucana and Blue Breda pullets -- two gentle breeds from one order! We waited months and then the breeder screwed up and shipped our order to Florida while we received the Florida order!

(May 2015)
The missent Florida birds "Gemma" the Blue Ameraucana and "Ichabod" the COCKEREL!!!!
View attachment 3874030

We were horrified after waiting weeks for our pullets and then receiving one as a cockerel! The breeder refunded only the cost of the birds but would not refund expensive shipping costs even though it was THEIR mixed up shipping error!!! Plus we now had to figure how to rehome a rare but unwanted cockerel. A rescue friend kindly took him to her farm. The Blue Ameraucana pullet was sick and put down by the vet the first week! The whole incident was a nightmare we never wanted to experience again.

TG for nice BYC breeders for helping us through advice and recommendations that we found another breeder in our own state who was phasing out their BBS Bredas so we ordered a pullet again -- a cute younger pullet and she came right out of the USPS shipping box just as tame and sweet as if she had always lived here!

(June 2015)
PHAEDRA -- Blue Breda pullet about 4-1/2 mo.
View attachment 3874073
Phaedra was so sweet -- we kept her indoors and she was really sociable in a very dignified way. She admired herself in the floor mirror and in just a couple weeks her feathered toes grew out, her characteristic vulture hocks started to show, her little wattles were showing and she had the tall statuesque stance of her breed. Breda do not have combs but as adults they sport a small triangle crest on their skull. One of the most gorgeous breeds we ever had the pleasure of owning!
View attachment 3874083

More saga to continue..... :)
I have enjoyed reading about your chicken tending journey. What an interesting breed! This was a new one for me. I have never heard of them. Beautiful birds ❤️

Nest Box Nutcases

There was a great moment today when the whole tribe was together again. Glynda was off the nest for her afternoon dust bath and Lady Featherington was off for her break at the same time. Here they all are together.

Resized_20240626_140240_1719425241484.jpeg

Then the nest box nuttiness started up. Glynda went back in the coop first.

That's right. She decided to take Lady Featherington's nest box. There are 7 eggs in there. Glynda cannot cover 7 eggs. She not large enough.

So out I go.

I was right; 3 eggs were not under her.

Everything was good until bedtime. Here is how they are sleeping.

Broody Cam 2_20240626_224311.jpg

I flushed Phyllis out once but when I checked later she was back in the box.

There are very bad thunderstorms tonight.

My hope is that Glynda has her eggs and Phyllis is just laying next to her. When I flushed Phyllis out earlier Glynda had her eggs safe under her. Fingers crossed that nothing goes sideways tonight.

Watta PITA! Bedtime for the chooks, but the teenagers seem to think otherwise. I put three in, and two run out. I put five in and can’t catch CeeCee. Then they escape again. I had to bribe them with some steak, and they finally went in the coop door. :th
Now to check on Xzit (not feeling well tonight) :( :fl

Last edited:
Nest Box Nutcases

There was a great moment today when the whole tribe was together again. Glynda was off the nest for her afternoon dust bath and Lady Featherington was off for her break at the same time. Here they all are together.

View attachment 3874250

Then the nest box nuttiness started up. Glynda went back in the coop first.

That's right. She decided to take Lady Featherington's nest box. There are 7 eggs in there. Glynda cannot cover 7 eggs. She not large enough.

So out I go.

I was right; 3 eggs were not under her.

Everything was good until bedtime. Here is how they are sleeping.

View attachment 3874249

I flushed Phyllis out once but when I checked later she was back in the box.

There are very bad thunderstorms tonight.

My hope is that Glynda has her eggs and Phyllis is just laying next to her. When I flushed Phyllis out earlier Glynda had her eggs safe under her. Fingers crossed that nothing goes sideways tonight.
Gosh she sure is determined isn’t she!

Is there no way at all you can segregate the broodies? I just worry about when the hatching starts. Or maybe keep Phyllis on her own with a ‘companion’.

Back
Top Bottom