It’s difficult to get these things here. Most time one needs a vet to prescribe any sort of med. I am just lucky I had the sulphatrim left from another chook.

My horse vet is good with prescriptions that I need for horses or chooks.

And in Canada there is an egg with-hold when treating with Corid. I think it’s a couple days.

Not that the chicks lay eggs haha.

But if there is coccidiosis then I want to treat the flock.
My only other thought is possibly roundworms, since it has been so rainy/wet for you lately. Not sure it would make it that bloody, but evidently it can cause bloody stools. As can hairworms.

My only other thought is possibly roundworms, since it has been so rainy/wet for you lately. Not sure it would make it that bloody, but evidently it can cause bloody stools. As can hairworms.
Yes, I was thinking of preparing and popping some of that Panacur wormer water in their pen. I still have lots of that left from when I took petunia to the vet.

Was a bit leery with such young chicks. They will be 2 weeks old Monday though so I guess ok.

Last edited:
And no one has Corid here as I thought. I would need to have a Vet get this for me. And of course long weekend here. So nothing is happening.

I will continue the sulphatrim and also do the Panacur in the water. I feel the other Americana is also not feeling well, the 2 Gems seem fine. But you can bet I will be watching them like a hawk.

Was able to find some dosing for 'pet birds' regarding suphatrim:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/multimedia/table/antimicrobials-used-in-pet-birds

I will need to get a weight on that chick I guess. I gave her 0.05ml this morning, she seems more lethargic now ☹️

Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole

50–100 mg/kg, PO, 2 times a day

Last edited:
Caturday Saturday
This is the main reason why he wants to go in the sunroom.
IMG_1711.JPG

Super climber. First time I've ever seen him go up there.
IMG_1701.JPG

When he's not sleeping, he'll place his legs on the pillow but he'll mostly lay down.
IMG_1707.JPG

Duds

Eve is here so I thought it would educational for her to see a chick in the egg. So we candled 3 eggs that were under Lady Featherington last night. We did 3 because the first 2 showed no signs of development. None of the 3 did. 2 Polish, 1 Orpington. Here is a photo of the orpington egg.

20240628_214330.jpg

Obviously this is concerning to me. It seems that either I am really unlucky or we may not have many chicks hatching, if any.

And no one has Corid here as I thought. I would need to have a Vet get this for me. And of course long weekend here. So nothing is happening.

I will continue the sulphatrim and also do the Panacur in the water. I feel the other Americana is also not feeling well, the 2 Gems seem fine. But you can bet I will be watching them like a hawk.

Was able to find some dosing for 'pet birds' regarding suphatrim:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/multimedia/table/antimicrobials-used-in-pet-birds

I will need to get a weight on that chick I guess. I gave her 0.05ml this morning, she seems more lethargic now ☹️

Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole

50–100 mg/kg, PO, 2 times a day
Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with that little one

I didn’t want to wait to see with this chick so I went ahead and treated her with the Sulpha-trim I had here.

“Drugs such as sulfadimethoxine and trimethoprim-sulfadiazine have been effective in the treatment and prevention of Coccidia“

Hopefully I can nip whatever it is in the bud. These chicks are so small and fragile I didn’t want to wait. I couldn’t find any dosing info on it so I have her 1/4 what was prescribed for Petunia (she had 0.1ml, so I gave the chick 0.025ml).
Hopefully that works. Praying for you.

Back
Top Bottom