20240710_211452.jpg
Focus....has a single all black feather
20240710_144723.jpg
Daisy

20240710_144731.jpg
Hyacinth with Hector's vigilant eye

20240710_210920.jpg
Hyacinth again, restfully alert.

I wish I had Dom hens! They look so cute, like barred rocks with little rose combs. So sorry you aren't zoned
for roos. Some of them can turn out to be some amazing gentlemen.
Yeah, BR's were originally Dominique but the straight comb Doms were separated from rose comb Doms and then cross-bred to be bigger and to lay more eggs -- while the rose comb Dom fanciers kept the original Dom size and homestead traits.

At one time there actually were white Doms too (reference The American Dominique: A Treatise for the Fancier by Mark Fields). Great book on the original Pilgrim Dom history, auto-sexing, Dom standard of perfection, etc, if you ever find it. I downloaded an ebook from Amazon.

Cackle Hatchery enlisted Mark Fields in 1982 to perfect their Dom bantam line to standard and still sell them today! I never had the opportunity to get Cackle bantams and now I'm too old to expand our flock. We live in the suburbs and have limited ordinances too.

We recommended Doms and Buckeyes to a Colorado Rockies couple who loved their Doms for their snow country. They really loved their Dom roo also!

View attachment 3888696Focus....has a single all black feather

Our cuckoo pattern Dominique sports a black feather or two after a molt.
DSCN1681.JPG

DSCN1635.JPG

I'm not surprised BRs and Doms are similar. BRs were bred from Dominiques (The American Dominique: A Treatise for the Fancier by Mark Fields). We went with Doms to keep the original Pilgrim breed and size and to keep the self-sustaining broodiness of Doms. Plus we have a personal preference for rose comb birds or walnut, pea comb, or no comb breeds.

If BRs have good calm temperaments it's a trait inherited from their Dom ancestry :love

Didn't manage to catch up, but wanted to let everyone know I will be away for the weekend. This is my one big event for the year so fingers crossed for good sales! Its a great event no matter what. Oregoncountryfair.org
Anyway, big news here is that the chicks decided it was time to leave the run and have been spending time in the wide world of the yard. So far so good. Cats are being better than expected.
20240711_160327~2.jpg
20240711_201218~2.jpg

Time to Explore the Wider World

This is a big deal because getting back in can be quite an issue. I'm going to have to watch them all day now for the next several days until they get returning to the coop down. I believe it took Sydney's crew 3 days to get the hang of it.

The mums went right under to coop to dustbathe.

Time to Explore the Wider World

This is a big deal because getting back in can be quite an issue. I'm going to have to watch them all day now for the next several days until they get returning to the coop down. I believe it took Sydney's crew 3 days to get the hang of it.

The mums went right under to coop to dustbathe.
I'm surprised! Glynda was the more cautious one!

Back
Top Bottom