THIRSTY THURS
DSCN6936.JPG
DSCN6932.JPG

13+ YRS SAGA since 2011 cont...today's saga longer than usual cuz of how impressed we were with the 3 Dominique chicks we added to our dwindling backyard flock.

Harray! After losing several hens from 2016 thru 2017 down to only a Cuckoo Breda and Silkie left outdoors we began raising our 3 new Dominique chicks. Once all birds would integrate we'd once again have our full allowed ordinance of 5 hens/no roos.

3 Dom chicks loved the warm keyboard
DSCN8278.JPG

6 weeks later they weren't babies any more and had the most beautiful blue eyes that sadly turned to red-orange as adults
DSCN8359.JPG

DSCN8371.JPG

By 4 months the pretty blue eyes were turning orange -- this is DANA with her uneven wattles
DSCN8586.JPG

Dominiques turned out to be our friendliest chickens ever -- people-friendly, outgoing, unafraid as chicks up to adulthood, peppy as chicks and juveniles but calm temperaments and talkative as adults.
DSCN8424.JPG

Right from the first day of integration the Dominiques accepted 6-yr-old Silkie
"Violet" as alpha hen. She was treasured by the young Doms who were submissive to her, protected her from stray cats, and defended her from the aggressive Cuckoo Breda hen who developed an aversion to the little Silkie.

3 Dom pullets with Violet
DSCN8466.JPG

"Char" the Cuckoo Breda would take any opportunity she could to pick on little "Violet" since Violet lost her Silkie companion in Sept 2017 and was left with no other bantam friend to toodle around with
VIOLET
DSCN8645.JPG

CHAR was a pretty Cuckoo Breda but at 7.5-lbs she took advantage going out of her way to specifically attack 2.5-lb Violet whenever she could
CHAR
DSCN8644.JPG

Thankfully all 3 Dom pullets took turns staying with Violet to protect her from Char. Darnedest thing we ever saw when 3 Dom pullets would put Char in her place for attacking Violet!

Little Violet standing near a dust-bathing Dom who is aware that Cuckoo Breda Char is approaching at the front. Char was never a people-friendly or flock-friendly hen and the Doms were always on high alert when she came near.
VIOLET, JEWLZ, & CHAR
DSCN8663.JPG

2018 -- Sandbox Doms -- OPAL, JEWLZ, DANA
DSCN8682.JPG

....to be cont'd

Okay so, I wanted to snuggle one of my RIR, and she was acting really calm, she started to look at my face closely, and then she decided eyes were going to be her new favorite food and pecked on my eye lid and pulled! I was like, "Excuse me! I cant give you food without a eye!"

Yesterday, I was going to take one of my new hens to free range a little, and she started running away from me.... I was seriously running around like a chicken without my head... We all know chickens dont just run in straight lines.........
Are you okay? Is your eye 👁️ sore?

13+ YRS SAGA since 2011 cont...today's saga longer than usual cuz of how impressed we were with the 3 Dominique chicks we added to our dwindling backyard flock.

Harray! After losing several hens from 2016 thru 2017 down to only a Cuckoo Breda and Silkie left outdoors we began raising our 3 new Dominique chicks. Once all birds would integrate we'd once again have our full allowed ordinance of 5 hens/no roos.

3 Dom chicks loved the warm keyboard
View attachment 3901013

6 weeks later they weren't babies any more and had the most beautiful blue eyes that sadly turned to red-orange as adults
View attachment 3901010
View attachment 3901015

By 4 months the pretty blue eyes were turning orange -- this is DANA with her uneven wattles
View attachment 3901016

Dominiques turned out to be our friendliest chickens ever -- people-friendly, outgoing, unafraid as chicks up to adulthood, peppy as chicks and juveniles but calm temperaments and talkative as adults.
View attachment 3901019

Right from the first day of integration the Dominiques accepted 6-yr-old Silkie
"Violet" as alpha hen. She was treasured by the young Doms who were submissive to her, protected her from stray cats, and defended her from the aggressive Cuckoo Breda hen who developed an aversion to the little Silkie.

3 Dom pullets with Violet
View attachment 3901028

"Char" the Cuckoo Breda would take any opportunity she could to pick on little "Violet" since Violet lost her Silkie companion in Sept 2017 and was left with no other bantam friend to toodle around with
VIOLET
View attachment 3901041

CHAR was a pretty Cuckoo Breda but at 7.5-lbs she took advantage going out of her way to specifically attack 2.5-lb Violet whenever she could
CHAR
View attachment 3901040

Thankfully all 3 Dom pullets took turns staying with Violet to protect her from Char. Darnedest thing we ever saw when 3 Dom pullets would put Char in her place for attacking Violet!

Little Violet standing near a dust-bathing Dom who is aware that Cuckoo Breda Char is approaching at the front. Char was never a people-friendly or flock-friendly hen and the Doms were always on high alert when she came near.
VIOLET, JEWLZ, & CHAR
View attachment 3901067

2018 -- Sandbox Doms -- OPAL, JEWLZ, DANA
View attachment 3901076

....to be cont'd
It’s the sand kingdom of the Dominiques! :D

I have been following the news about the wild fires north of here. About San Francisco and the fires in the Sierra Nevada mountains that threaten even my properties. It’s a scary thought to have lost everything that has been built due to a devastating fire. I pray that nothing happens to you my friends in Canada 🇨🇦
Looks like heavy damage in Jasper 😢

Smoke out there is heavy, I wonder if LhickenChicken is ok with the air quality.

Okay so, I wanted to snuggle one of my RIR, and she was acting really calm, she started to look at my face closely, and then she decided eyes were going to be her new favorite food and pecked on my eye lid and pulled! I was like, "Excuse me! I cant give you food without a eye!"

Yesterday, I was going to take one of my new hens to free range a little, and she started running away from me.... I was seriously running around like a chicken without my head... We all know chickens dont just run in straight lines.........
Little peckers 🥰

Back
Top Bottom