@BDutch ~ this is the most info I found about the Breda/Kraaikop from chickendanz.com

The Breda never made it into the APA standard. The primary reason it is poorly remembered in North America has to do with a confusion of names.
Although usually considered a Dutch breed, the Breda may be French in origin. The Dutch call the breed Kraaikops, leading some English writers to confuse it with the Kraienkopp (Kraienkoppe for English speakers). The other names are based on the region of Holland where it was most common and where most experts believe it originated.
Prior to the Civil War, the Breda was a fairly common breed in the U.S., where they were usually called Guelderlands or sometimes Guelders. As recently as 1867, Solon Robinson in the poultry section of his book, Wisdom of the Land, mentions them as a common breed. The Guelderlands were to a considerable extent displaced by early Asiatic imports in the U.S. Following the Civil War the great explosion of American-produced breeds nearly swept them completely from public notice. They experienced a considerable decline in Europe at the same time, but in the early 1900s began to recover both as a show fowl and in economic importance. This led to additional American imports, but they never obtained a long term following.
Robinson and most other early writers mention them only as a black fowl. Most 20th century imports were Cuckoo, but a limited number of blue and white Bredas were present also. The term Breda probably was not in use in North America until after 1900.
The Breda is a medium bodied fowl, with a well-developed prominent breast, strong thighs, rather long closely feathered legs, vulture hocks, broad slightly sloping back, short well arched neck, long strong head with a stout well curved beak and no comb. A tassel or small tuft of feathers (usually very small) rises from the head at the rear of the flat depressed area where the comb should be. Bredas also have large cavernous nostrils.
The Breda is generally conceded to be a composite breed, but a rather early one. No definite records exist as to how it was produced. That it has some crested ancestry is obvious. It is considered a Dutch breed, but minority opinions argue for a Belgian or French origin. The Malines is often mentioned as a probable ancestor and certainly would account for the feathered legs. That leaves us without a ready explanation for the vulture hocks. Suggestions have been made that Sultans crossed with Malines or Asiatics could have produced them, but this is a fowl that developed long before any Sultans or most Asiatics appeared in Western Europe.
Breda are my favorite type of chicken. With their exotic, almost prehistoric looks and their sweet and intelligent disposition they are a perfect bird for a pet or small flock. After being extinct in the U.S. for nearly a century, new imports of the breed were brought in about 2010. They have been slow to gain popularity because people either love their appearance or hate it. Recently however they have gained popularity and are very difficult to find.

The silkies are finally coming out of the ugly phase and are starting to look like mini adults. This cross between Branch and Poppet is going to produce some beautiful little birds. Branch, he had a mighty fine beard but to be honest his topknot left a lot to be desired. Poppet, no beard but you cannot deny she is rocking the topknot. I can now tell all 6 have inherited their momma's fuller topknot. 3 of the 6 have their daddy's beard to go with it. I actually have 3 pairs color wise. There are 2 blacks, 2 Black with brown leaking through all over and 2 partridges. Each of the pairs have a bearded and non-bearded version.
I believe that the bearded Partridge will be miss Patsy.
View attachment 3936821View attachment 3936822
Black and brown
View attachment 3936827View attachment 3936828
non bearded
View attachment 3936829View attachment 3936830
Now for the black chicks
View attachment 3936831View attachment 3936832View attachment 3936834
You have a matching set! You know what that means? You have to keep them all.
They are very cute I must say!
🥰

Happy Thirsty Thursday. Tassels is attacking the wild water from all sides.
IMG_7552.jpeg
IMG_7549.jpeg
IMG_7547.jpeg

Hawk!! The chooks are all hiding on the porch and deep inside the bushes.
Smart chickens!

Our hens are free to roam the yard all day & use the coop only to lay eggs or roost. So, we erected 3 popup canopies (leg frames buried in the ground to anchor) and planted several chicken friendly trees/plants, erected makeshift benches, had lawn furniture around the yard, & put out several used/2nd-hand dog houses for hiding areas from aerial predators. We even found Silkies hiding under the walking bridge! All these efforts have been a real help for chicken hiding places since every Spring the Cooper's hawk juvenile fledglings scope out our birds from the neighborhood rooftops, trees, telephone poles, & fencetops.

The hawks usually like to swoop down after foraging or running ground prey using talons & carrying off their prey. If flying air space is blocked it mostly deters the hawk's flying area. We once had a dumb fledgling Cooper's hawk fly at a hen but knocked itself out when it hit the dog kennel wire of the run! We really believe in heavy duty wire runs & solid cement flooring & although our barn coop shed is bigger than we need for only 6 birds nothing short of a Grizzly can tear it apart to get at roosting hens!

DSCN1028.JPG
DSCN1140.JPG
DSCN1228.JPG
DSCN1232.JPG
DSCN1371.JPG
DSCN1381.JPG
DSCN1308.JPG
DSCN1309.JPG
DSCN0287.JPG
DSCN8079.JPG
DSCN7466.JPG
DSCN8139.JPG
DSCN7684.JPG
DSCN7464.JPG

We have been blessed with the 5 total gorgeous Breda we've had the great pleasure of owning but I'm afraid my Breda days are over since we're too old to responsibly add more birds to our flock. I am disappointed at growing old but it happens to everything ~ plants, trees, animals, & us :old
I found a real good article about the Kraaikop and its origin. In Dutch and its not possible to copy paste it in translate.
https://edepot.wur.nl/142823
Ot seems it was a french illustrator/painter (Ch Jaque 1851) who pictures stoot at the origin of the looks. It changed a lot after that because people wanted a heavier (meat) chicken. The French La Fleche chickens and many others were used to obtain a heavyweight chicken like (maybe) Croad, Langshals as nd Shanghais. (Aviculture magazine 1961).

The breeders brought the looks of the head back to the way a crow looks.

In 2015 Aviculture published another article about the Kraaikoppen :
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/15N02A05.pdf
Maybe it is possible to translate this one with AI/google if you can use Adobe pro to select and copy the text.
I cant on my phone.

I found a real good article about the Kraaikop and its origin. In Dutch and its not possible to copy paste it in translate.
https://edepot.wur.nl/142823
Ot seems it was a french illustrator/painter (Ch Jaque 1851) who pictures stoot at the origin of the looks. It changed a lot after that because people wanted a heavier (meat) chicken. The French La Fleche chickens and many others were used to obtain a heavyweight chicken like (maybe) Croad, Langshals as nd Shanghais. (Aviculture magazine 1961).

The breeders brought the looks of the head back to the way a crow looks.

In 2015 Aviculture published another article about the Kraaikoppen :
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/15N02A05.pdf
Maybe it is possible to translate this one with AI/google if you can use Adobe pro to select and copy the text.
I cant on my phone.
Yes, TY. I have seen these before & even if the language is a barrier the gorgeous photos tell it all! Before we got Breda fowl we saw them selling on Greenfire Farms website. We were intrigued w/ their beauty & supposed gentle temperament so we absorbed all info we could on Breda before getting them.

Right after Greenfire acquired Breda to distribute to US breeders Greenfire next acquired the Pavlovskaya chicken in two varieties. Wish we weren't maxed out in hens or we would have ordered them too!

Back
Top Bottom