Dad doesn't want a rooster because he doesn't sleep well at all (an hour or 2 of sleep a night on average) and doesn't want to be woken up at the buttcrack of dawn every morning. I have insomnia too, though not as severe, so I understand that. He knows about roo collars but would never use them, to us it's cruelty.

Soooo how do I convince him to change his mind and get a roo? 🤔

^Only half serious, I'd never actually advocate trying to force someone to get an animal that they don't want. I just hope I can show him enough pros to outweigh the cons, eventually!
Is there anyway you could house your roo into a dark space at night, insulted so as to keep the noise out a little more?

I saw a clip, where a lady did this for a noisy roo and it was peaceful from there on in.

She is fascinating and adorable. She took food from my hand on Saturday for the first time. It took 3 days off handing ham scaps to the others before she trusted me enough to do so.

The only problem is I keep calling her Glynda. 😔
I am sure Glynda doesn’t mind ♥️ And would be a proud mama to have a lovely daughter like her.

Gosh I am super stoked to see what colour egg she lays. I have now given it some thought and I am thinking a beautiful terra-cotta colour like my Buff Orps lay.

Having looked into the lavender Orp colour and how they get there, it is possible that Aster could be a ‘throwback’ to a splash 🥰

Is there anyway you could house your roo into a dark space at night, insulted so as to keep the noise out a little more?

I saw a clip, where a lady did this for a noisy roo and it was peaceful from there on in.
Maybe... We'd probably have to build something. My dad's room is right above the basement and right across from the garage so we wouldn't be able to keep it in either of those rooms. And they'd be the only rooms of the house my family would be ok with keeping a chicken in

Problematic in the heat of summer though 😢

(Tell your dad to get a sleep study done for sleep apnea - this is a serious condition that many don’t think of - sleep apnea can cause all sorts of health conditions, and serious cardiovascular issues)

Off topic tax
Eli-too 🤭
1C82A6DB-D65F-4D60-A9CE-093722006CC1.jpeg

Maybe... We'd probably have to build something. My dad's room is right above the basement and right across from the garage so we wouldn't be able to keep it in either of those rooms. And they'd be the only rooms of the house my family would be ok with keeping a chicken in
Is it possible you could add a box inside their area.

Problematic in the heat of summer though 😢

(Tell your dad to get a sleep study done for sleep apnea - this is a serious condition that many don’t think of - sleep apnea can cause all sorts of health conditions, and serious cardiovascular issues)

Off topic tax
Eli-too 🤭
View attachment 3969770
Hopefully the rooster would get a better sleep pattern after a while

Dad doesn't want a rooster because he doesn't sleep well at all (an hour or 2 of sleep a night on average) and doesn't want to be woken up at the buttcrack of dawn every morning. I have insomnia too, though not as severe, so I understand that. He knows about roo collars but would never use them, to us it's cruelty.

Soooo how do I convince him to change his mind and get a roo? 🤔

^Only half serious, I'd never actually advocate trying to force someone to get an animal that they don't want. I just hope I can show him enough pros to outweigh the cons, eventually!
A roo? Think about it really hard. They are noisy and violent at times. My Wyandottey crowd at 0:200 this morning. Then again at 05:00 you need sleep? Don’t get a roo!

A roo? Think about it really hard. They are noisy and violent at times. My Wyandottey crowd at 0:200 this morning. Then again at 05:00 you need sleep? Don’t get a roo!
Of course! It's not something I'm going to do without lots of research, weighing pros and cons, etc. I'm very realistic about owning and caring for animals. I may really REALLY want a roo, but not if the roo AND my family won't be happy!

Back
Top Bottom