Follow along for my Classroom Hatch-A-Long!

Our Ag Extension Office (through the University of Maryland) provides Kindergarten classes here with e-egg 'bators, eggs, a heated brooder box, feed and bedding - the whole nine yards - each Spring. The rest of the year, 4H kids, home-schoolers and other classrooms can borrow the equipment. It's a neat set-up for people wanting to set small quantities

About five years ago, I adopted a pair of chicks from the "leftovers" at our local elementary school. They turned out to be a BJG and a NH Red. I call them my Kindergarten Dropouts - and they are, hands down, the sweetest hens in my flock!
That is an awesome opportunity for kids in your area! I am working with middle school students, so we will be implementing some higher-level math & science, ex calculating & graphing % weight loss, and some research of breeds. Will be a fun unit for sure!

Tomorrow should be exciting! I am going to try a quick candle when the kids are at lunch. It will be day 3 right before lunch. If I can see into any of the lighter color eggs, I’m going to surprise them after lunch by looking at a couple! 😊 Fingers crossed we can see something!

Today we worked on a definitions cutout, with words like yolk, albumen, shell, written on eggs, and the definitions written on another egg. They had to match them and color the matches the same color, then paste. The papers will be their folders for the unit. We also talked about the importance of turning the eggs. They are totally into this project!

Tomorrow should be exciting! I am going to try a quick candle when the kids are at lunch. It will be day 3 right before lunch. If I can see into any of the lighter color eggs, I’m going to surprise them after lunch by looking at a couple! 😊 Fingers crossed we can see something!

Today we worked on a definitions cutout, with words like yolk, albumen, shell, written on eggs, and the definitions written on another egg. They had to match them and color the matches the same color, then paste. The papers will be their folders for the unit. We also talked about the importance of turning the eggs. They are totally into this project!
I just love all of this. We had different animals in my 5th grade classroom and it is something 40 or so years later I still remember.

I was pleasantly surprised to see humidity stable at 47% this morning when I got in, so it held well over the weekend. Glad I decided to use the Kebonnix, as the 360 was extremely difficult to keep at 50%! We will candle & draw air cells tomorrow, day 7. I did a quick peek this morning, and all looked ok so far! The kids have been coloring in a countdown hatch tracker every day. 2 weeks to go!

I was pleasantly surprised to see humidity stable at 47% this morning when I got in, so it held well over the weekend. Glad I decided to use the Kebonnix, as the 360 was extremely difficult to keep at 50%! We will candle & draw air cells tomorrow, day 7. I did a quick peek this morning, and all looked ok so far! The kids have been coloring in a countdown hatch tracker every day. 2 weeks to go!
I've had humidity issues with my Nurture Right, too. I'm not going to complain about it too much, though, because it just saved a hatch of abandoned Nankin eggs. They really should have hatched a week ago, but between the broody abandoning them (and my not catching it for at least three days, likely more,) multiple power outages and humidity extremes, tonight, we haz babeez! So far, we have three active peeps, one good pip and one serious rocker. Hopefully, there will be a few more. Not a bad result from 18 eggs I would have sworn were dead two weeks ago!

I've had humidity issues with my Nurture Right, too. I'm not going to complain about it too much, though, because it just saved a hatch of abandoned Nankin eggs. They really should have hatched a week ago, but between the broody abandoning them (and my not catching it for at least three days, likely more,) multiple power outages and humidity extremes, tonight, we haz babeez! So far, we have three active peeps, one good pip and one serious rocker. Hopefully, there will be a few more. Not a bad result from 18 eggs I would have sworn were dead two weeks ago!
I find with the 360 I need to add water every night. The Kebonnix is good for a few days if I don’t get a chance to fill it.

Forgot to take pics at school today, will have to do that tomorrow!

Following
I live very near a school and have considered talking to them to see if they have something like this. I'd be happy to furnish and incubator and eggs for them if they don't.
I supply schools in town my bator , eggs and brooder set up so they can keep them for a little bit too
All free of charge.
This year I have 4 schools doing it
Such a great experience for the kids
I would definitely go chat with them

Back
Top Bottom