Follow along for my Classroom Hatch-A-Long!

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Hi everyone! I did my first hatch ever last year with my students at school. It was such a success, I am doing another one with this year’s class, starting tomorrow! Almost every student told me it was their favorite activity of the year. 😊

I will be setting 12 eggs in my Kebonnix. Pics of the eggs and development to follow! If anyone has any questions or suggestions, feel free to post away!

We set a variety of eggs, weighed & candled each one, talked about where it came from (some from me, some from a neighbor, & some from another co-worker), and general egg-handling discussion. Read through a incubating chicks printout @PippinTheChicken shared with me last year (made into a packet combined with the 4H educational printouts from our local branch). After setting the eggs, one of the kids said, “we have such a beautiful assortment of egg colors!” 😂 They labeled each egg by color on our classroom chart, and used colors like: sage, teal, and olive. It was cute to see them discuss the best color to describe each!

They are super excited. I actually have a coworker who has a bigger incubator and set some extras for us as well, in case there are a bunch of clears/early quitters, in which case I will move a few into their place.

Here is what we started with:
1683074562335.jpeg

I did have a few darker eggs, but decided not to use them as they are much harder to see into. So I made sure to have a few white eggs. One is a Polish which should be fun, another is a legbar cross, and one is a frizzle! Some have feathered feet, some have beards. Should be an interesting mix!

This year I am also going to let them choose a breed to research, and practice research skills to make a poster with required facts and info along with 1-2 extra fun facts.

@SheaLoner since I am keeping a few silkies for my son, I kept those eggs for my home hatch that he is helping with. Educating at home & at school! 😊

Following
I live very near a school and have considered talking to them to see if they have something like this. I'd be happy to furnish and incubator and eggs for them if they don't.
Our Ag Extension Office (through the University of Maryland) provides Kindergarten classes here with e-egg 'bators, eggs, a heated brooder box, feed and bedding - the whole nine yards - each Spring. The rest of the year, 4H kids, home-schoolers and other classrooms can borrow the equipment. It's a neat set-up for people wanting to set small quantities

About five years ago, I adopted a pair of chicks from the "leftovers" at our local elementary school. They turned out to be a BJG and a NH Red. I call them my Kindergarten Dropouts - and they are, hands down, the sweetest hens in my flock!

Back
Top Bottom