Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to focus solely on the extreme bills in the hookbills? I've seen a few people advertising eggs and live birds, but they all are either a flock of moderate and extreme, or all three varieties. I'd personally like to focus on extreme, but if there is a health reason to have some moderates, then I'd like to know before finding out the hard way

So I wanted to post this update seperate from the initial post.
I brought them to my property and realized that the fence I put up for them is not going to work. I realized this when I put the first Buff in the pen and she ran straight through the fence :he
I luckily was able to grab her and place her back in the transport crate. It was hot, so I had to keep them in my truck with the AC blasting. I was in a rush because I had to go pick up the rest of my birds from the fair. I scurried around fueled by anxiety, trying to figure out how I could keep them secured in the pen. I ended up using a baby gate to keep them in their coop. That way they could be outside, but couldn't go in their run. But the problem then became "how do I keep the hookbills in?" I couldn't figure anything out that would work, so I decided to bring them back to my house so they could be in the AC and I could go pick up the rest of my birds.
I ended up spending $200 I didn't have on new fencing. I know that's not a lot of money for most when it comes to fencing, but it is to me. Some of the cost was for things needed to build a fence, like a fence pounder thing, which I won't have to buy again. But it was a pain having an unexpected expense.
Today, after work, I will be building the new fence for the birds so that they can be where they are supposed to be. Luckily it is very mild here today, only in the low 80s. I'm hoping what I bought will work. I had the hookbills in a 30" tall wire play pen type thing all week at the fair and they never once got out. I bought 3' tall wire to make their run. Hopefully it keeps them in. I also have an electric fence around the perimeter for added safety.
The 3' fence will definitely work for the buffs, since they can't fly. They just waddle around all cute.
One other thing that I need to buy is a drill-operated water pump. I don't have any water at my property, so I have to haul a 140 gallon water bladder in the bed of my truck. I use a hose connected to the bladder to refill pools. But gravity can only do so much. Eventually the water level gets to a point where the water varely comes out. So once I get this drill pump, I should be able to refill pools faster.
Check out 12-v agricultural spray rig pumps. I got one at TSC for $25 that pumps 5 gpm at zero head (no restriction/no increase in elevation) and up to 1.5 gpm at 20 psi. It takes 3/8" tubing, and I used clear poly for my outfit. You can wire it up to a cigarette lighter plug or get a set of clips to go straight to the battery.

Back
Top Bottom