Four week old Easter Eggers - What gender? (Updated Pics 8 Weeks Old)

ChickenNewbies

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012

Hi, we have 4 week old Easter Eggers: our first ever batch of chicks! We are newbies at this and were wondering if you guys can help us try to determine their genders. They did not come from a sexed group. Thanks in advance!
The first picture, above, is "Dale".

This is "Chip".

This is "Sprinkles". Not the greatest picture I know.

This is "Abed", "Oreo" and "Chip" from left to right

"Sprinkles" again.

"Oreo" again

This is "Gandalf": He likes to show off (standing on his waterer lol). You can't see it from these pictures but he has a very almost non-existant tail, while all of the others have a longer (1 to 1 and a half inch) tail.

And "Abed" again: he has been doing a lot of "flying" lately and is the first to run up to us for food. Very bold.

Again, hope you can help us determine what sex these "guys" are.

Last edited:
I think it's still too early to be certain. But I think Gandalf looks like a rooster. The picture of him standing on his waterer cracked me up
smile.png
Very cute.

Gandalf is probably a roo, simply from his posture and fact that his feathering is behind the others. However he is a beautiful color! I don't think Oreo is an EE at all. And it is way way to early to be guessing
big_smile.png
but if they were my chicks, I would think that Abed and Dale are cockerals, and Sprinkles and Chip were pullets. In about 2 weeks more, the coloring should be in fully and you should be able to sex them then.

PS: didn't anyone ever tell you NEVER to name your chicks "guy" names!!!!!!!
hide.gif

Thanks guys. I did foget to mention that Oreo is about a week younger than the others since we had one chick that had a cross beak and we "exchanged" it for Oreo 2 weeks later.
Maybe I will take more pictures in a few more weeks and repost to see. Hubby and I feel Gandalf is a roo too: he has just acted like one from day 1.

Last edited:
All the "Araucana" chicks my feed store gets have had the brown chipmunk coloration, so it's fun to see all the colors you have. I hope you keep posting pictures as they grow!
:)

Note: I wish my feed store sold real Araucanas. Ha. Or even genuine Ameraucanas. It seems particularly egregious to call them Araucanas. I mean, they don't have bums, right? Kind of easy to identify?

Just wondering: if they were SLW x EEers, would any of them lay colored eggs? So far we have only gotten brown shaded eggs.

Just wondering: if they were SLW x EEers, would any of them lay colored eggs? So far we have only gotten brown shaded eggs.

All the "Araucana" chicks my feed store gets have had the brown chipmunk coloration, so it's fun to see all the colors you have. I hope you keep posting pictures as they grow!
:)
Note: I wish my feed store sold real Araucanas. Ha. Or even genuine Ameraucanas. It seems particularly egregious to call them Araucanas. I mean, they don't have bums, right? Kind of easy to identify?

Amen to that, the two breeds don't even LOOK the same. It's kind of like being a breeding being confused if they are selling dalmations or labradors. *smacks forehead*

And ChickenNewbies, it's all in the genes. If one bird passes along the blue egg gene (EE, which usually has both blue and brown genes), it'll combine with the brown gene (SLW) and produce a bird that lays green eggs. Of course, if the genetic dice roll skips the blue egg gene, and only brown passes along, it's nothing but brown layers in your future.

Oh my goodness! I totally posted that last post about my SLW x EEers in the wrong thread! So sorry! But thanks for the info. :)

Here are some updated pics @ 6 weeks.

Gandalf:

Abed:

Sprinkles:

Chip:

Dale:

Oreo:

Any opinions??????????????

They will be 6 weeks tuesday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom