3 clear

1 with something already started in it when I got them

3 grew bacteria instead of veins

5 began to develop

1 died at week 2

1 died on day 30

3 hatched with intervention

3 out of 5 = 60% hatch rate in shipped eggs

Not to bad considering I have never hatched goose eggs in my life.

Ya'll ready to do it with me again next weekend? Cockadoodlemom's test eggs are in the bator and next friday is day 28.

Who's with me?

I hope I have as good a luck as you. I plan on buying two new incubators next winter with one for chicken eggs and one for all the big eggs!

Can't wait to hear about goose hatch #2!

Had geese as a kid. Loved it that they followed me around and were so needy of me. Took them swimming in the pond. Led them around the yard because it was just sooo cool. Then they grew up, decided Daddy was top gander and BIT me! I could've eaten them then, but Daddy thought it was soooo cool
smile.png
But he couldn't pet the dogs or the cats or talk to ANYONE when he was outside. So he finally gave them to a neighbor with a bigger pond.

Funniest thing was a guy stopping by the farm to sell something. He asked Daddy, "Will your dogs bite?" Daddy said, "No, but watch out for those geese!" The salesman thought he was joking, and got out of his car. Those geese ran him right back into it. Daddy turned and walked into the house, laughing his head off.

I certainly will be following the excitement with you miss p. but if you don't mind.............I will watch from afar while you run up and down the steps?
gig.gif

loved your geese story, wegotchickens.

Last edited:
We have been cuddling them this morning. The last one is tucked in tight in the corner of the bator still drying out. It seems to be doing okay right now.

I do need some help noodling through the problems with this hatch.

Facts -

Shipped, dirty eggs.

Day 1 - 25, eggs in a turner, constant temps in a 1588. Eggs cooled down every day for 15 min. That is when I candled them every day. Eggs spritzed using a reptile misting bottle. Humidity at 59 - 65%.

Day 26 eggs taken out of turner. I still opened the bator for the cool down and spritzed them every day. Constant temps. Humidty at 85%.

Late in day 29 two eggs pipped.

First hatch on day 30.

Goslings sticky and having trouble.

1 chick died in the shell. On inspection the inner membrane was like shrink wrap around the gosling indicating it must have suffocated on day 30. It was alive and moving on day 29.

2 chicks required intervention to hatch.

Greyfeilds, and other experience geese hatchers - tell me what I did wrong. The eggs lost too much moisture during the incubation which resulted in dry stuck goslings that could not hatch without help.

Please, help me figure out what to change with this next hatch coming up next weekend.

One thing I didn't notice the first time around is that the beaks are the wrong color. My Embdens are all oranage at birth. I'm not sure where that black is coming from. If the eggs were from a crossbred parent, the sexing by down color goes out the window since it only works for pure Embdens.

Beautiful Goslings! But I would also be willing to venture a guess that those arent PURE embden but rather a cross. Look like...

Toulouse x Embden

Still good luck with them and looking forward to more gosling pics soon!
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom