Got a LGD

adoptedbyachicken

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Well I saw an ad for a free mature Maremma male and called the lady up. Seems the owner moved without the dog, so the neighbour was finding it a new home. Drove to see him yesterday and took him home. It was a long day, 9 hours of driving but he seems like a great dog, really good with the poultry, he used to guard Muscovie ducks there.

If I had to guess I'd say he is a Maremma/Akbash cross, but who knows really. Don't care either! She thinks he was a year old when he moved in there, and that was 5 years ago so he is at least 6. His name is Scarchelli, he will come to Archie.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Wow April how wonderful for you. He looks very much like a Great Pryneese. I have never heard of the breeds you mentioned but I would imagine the background of them is similar. I bet he will be a wonderful addition to your ranch. Lucky Archie, I am glad you found each other.

That's what I thought too, jimnjay. Definately looks a lot like a Great Pyranees. We had one years ago, very loving dog. Lot of St. Bernard in that breed.
Perfect for all that snow!
Congratulations!

What a great thing you and the neighbor did. I can't believe they just left him. How could you sleep at night, knowing you left your pet of 6 YEARS to fend for himself in the dead of winter. My mind is blown.

Mudhen a LDG is a Livestock Guardian Dog. They are breeds of dogs that were specially developed to keep flocks of sheep safe mostly, and goats too back when large flocks roamed the open hills. They will defend their flocks to their death from wolves, coyotes or cougars, bears, whatever the area has. You bond them to what you want them to protect as they are puppys. This guy was raised with poultry so he sees them as family.

Maremma, Kuvasz, Akbash, Great Pyrenees and Tibetian Mastiff are the most common breeds.

This guy is not reminding me of a Great Pye at all, he is very tall and thin in stature, and the fur is short and not in thick. His head is long and thin too so I don't think he has much of that in him. But who knows, and I don't really care. He is already on duty here, patroling the turf I have shown him to be his, and wathcing over his flock.

Thanks, (another for my acronym dictionary!) and you're right, it doesn't matter what kind he is.
How terrific to have come across such a great dog!

Back
Top Bottom