Hamburg thread!

Pics
My 27 week old Hamburg pullets started laying last week! Four eggs from them so far and I am just so excited!
wee.gif

They are more elongated, a little pointy actually. Smallish too, which makes sense. They are smaller chickens and these are pullet eggs, 1.1-1.3 oz. Here's a picture to give you an idea of shape.

Thank you thank you!

I love the picture!

Gotta live vicariously.

I love how so many things vary from breed to breed... Like Marans so often have the pointy end looking just like the fat end.

Thank you thank you!

I love the picture!

Gotta live vicariously.

I love how so many things vary from breed to breed... Like Marans so often have the pointy end looking just like the fat end.
You're welcome!

I didn't know that about the Marans! We have been talking about getting some Marans chicks.

I really love our Hamburgs. We got them as day old chicks and have watched them grow from tiny babies to lovely pullets (and a gorgeous cockerel) in the last 6 months.

They really live up to the description as being flighty, but they are smart and will learn to trust you if you are willing to spend time with them. Ours still don't like to be held, but if I sit on the ground or on a bench with treats they will walk all over me to get them. They definitely like to feel free! If we don't put them in the run by 4:00 PM, they will start flying into the trees to roost in for the night. We have so many predators here that they can't be loose at night, but they just love to fly (wow, can they fly)!

I hope you enjoy your Hamburgs as much as we have ours, they are a true joy.

I forgot, where did you get your hamburgs? I remember that you have the silver spangled.

Now that spring is closer I am truly chomping at the bit!!! (So, NOT being good at being patient)

I will be getting golden pencilled.

Yep, the Marans eggs being close to the same on both ends makes incubating a bit tricky since it isn't clear which end should be up. In a white egg you can easily candle the egg and see where the air cell is. A few of the Marans eggs I incubated last year I wasn't completely sure where the air cell was! The blasted egg was so dark and the egg had such rounded ends! (I had picked up the eggs locally, so the egg wasn't scrambled) I was so stressed about those silly eggs that wouldn't let me look inside!

I forgot, where did you get your hamburgs? I remember that you have the silver spangled.

Now that spring is closer I am truly chomping at the bit!!! (So, NOT being good at being patient)

I will be getting golden pencilled.

Yep, the Marans eggs being close to the same on both ends makes incubating a bit tricky since it isn't clear which end should be up. In a white egg you can easily candle the egg and see where the air cell is. A few of the Marans eggs I incubated last year I wasn't completely sure where the air cell was! The blasted egg was so dark and the egg had such rounded ends! (I had picked up the eggs locally, so the egg wasn't scrambled) I was so stressed about those silly eggs that wouldn't let me look inside!

Wow! we've never even tried incubating eggs!

I can only imagine the difficulty with eggs that look the same on both ends!

We got our Hamburgs from McMurray Hatchery. They all arrived in good health and we only lost one when she was about a month old to an unknown problem. The rest are thriving and giving us way too much fun!

We want to get some of the Golden's too, we're waiting until we get another coop built and are more able to handle a larger amount of chickens. It's SO hard to wait, isn't it? Lol!

Back
Top Bottom