Having TSC order chicks for you?!

Not sure about TSC but doesn't hurt to check with your feed store (TSC or not) if they do take special orders. Some places will simply add it to the orders they already have scheduled so your chicks will come with all the others they order. I don't know if there's any actual cost savings (maybe in shipping) but this way the employees will receive the order so no chasing around the postal service yourself.

Last time I was at my local feed store to get chicks they had one whole bin reserved, it was someone's special order awaiting pick up.
Our feed store does special orders. They have a list of about 20 breeds to choose from. It was like shopping for chicks! They didn't charge extra either for the chicks nor for shipping.

I got into quail last spring, but ordering chicks was ridiculously expensive and you could only get brown. The nearest breeder is 3 hours away. Ended up shipping eggs and though not ideal we started a little flock and have a variety of colors. I always feel bad for the shipped chicks, but most somehow survive.

Agreed, your best bet is to ask an employee at your local TSC store what their policy on ordering chicks. Most stores are able to add your order to their regular chick orders.

My concern with this would be the employees being able to correctly identify your chicks. TSC is notorious for misidentifying chicks. If they are able to order chicks for you I would recommend asking how they will tell your chick order from the rest of the chicks.

Personally, if you are looking for specific breeds I think your best bet is to order directly from the hatchery or breeder. Yeah, shipping is expensive, but the way I look at it is that it's worth it if the shipping costs less than I would spend in gas to drive there for pickup.

I got into quail last spring, but ordering chicks was ridiculously expensive and you could only get brown. The nearest breeder is 3 hours away. Ended up shipping eggs and though not ideal we started a little flock and have a variety of colors. I always feel bad for the shipped chicks, but most somehow survive.
yeah I'm always really worried that a chick or more may die in the mail.

Back
Top Bottom