hay/straw in the nest box? is pine shavings ok?

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
I've been using hay/straw in the nest box but I've just run into a problem with impacted crop and losing a chicken to it. Upon crop surgery I found about a cup of hay/straw. How crucial is it to have it in the nest box? can I use something else like pine shavings? I know they like it in there but, I'm really worried that someone else is going to eat it and get impacted crop...

I use pine shavings, BUT.. they scratch them around and I have been having a number of broken egg issues. I need to install foam rubber mats.

I was told that chickens will eat hay and not to use it, but that straw was okay. I don't know if it's true, but I use straw and have never had a problem with it. That's held true for 18 years now, so it seems right. Wood shavings are good but too expensive for me.

Whatever you use will be kicked out of the nestbox. I have old carpet scraps under the straw to prevent broken eggs.

Yes, pine shavings and or/sawdust is OK to use. Other choices are shredded newspaper, leaves, pine needles. It's all in what you have access to.
thumbsup.gif

HTH,
Lisa

what I had was what I thought was straw.... she ate it... so yeah
sad.png
Maybe I need to find some carpet pieces?

I use straw because I was told the pine shaveings are acidic and not good to put on the garden. I use the straw and manure on the garden.

I have been using wood shavings. That works just fine. I tried straw but had to cut it to shorter lengths so it would stay in the box. I decided that was more work than I wanted to do (it always seemed to need replacing when I was running late for work or had my hands full). We have started topping the wood shavings with paper from our shredder. It is kind of fun to know that the chickens are sitting on those credit card come ons and old bills.

we use straw at this point, but I am wanting to switch it up. I have so many newspapers around, I am thinking of repurposing them for nestbox fluff. anyone else use newspaper? I would rather use something that I already have so much of than buying another bail to replace the muddy stuff that is already in there.

oooh, I'm liking the paper shredder idea...

now, if the chickens decided to eat that how would it fare in the crop? would it impact them the way straw does?

I use shredded newspaper in the coop and nests. I like it, I shred it by hand in about 1 1/2 inch strips. I put down a thick layer of flat newspaper under, with the shredded on top about 4-6 deep. It gets flattened pretty quickly. I do fluff it. I don't think it is a good idea if your coop isn't watertight. I use a rubbermaid shed and it is completely dry inside. I have never had a chicken try to eat it. I don't know about the paper that comes from a shredder.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom