Help _ Hen or Roo? _ Five 6 Week Old Cuckoo Marans_ (POST SPLIT UP FOR EASE OF SEXING)

With the editing on the photos it’s kind of hard to tell, but I think all look like pullets.
Hi, I appreciate you taking the time to comment and weigh in. I am hoping they are all pullets.

Quick question though, are you assuming I heavily edited them due to the fact that I blurred the background?

Because they aren't heavily edited, the chicks are just kept in my house in a brooder and the chicks have a way of making a big chaotic mess of everything in two seconds. So I blur out the mess in the background so the bird is all you see, instead of the bedding they have thrown everywhere.
The lighting in the room also isn't the greatest so I use my phones camera flash to help make up for some of that.
Other then the blurring, I add their ages, Band colors, and names to the photo. But that's the only editing I actually do.

For example:
These are all the same photo. The original taken with my phone camera, the blurred background one, and then the one where I added the details.

(This is why I blur the background. They make such a mess, its distracting. How do tiny chicks make such a mess?)
1000023686.jpg

(Blurred background. Easier to focus on the star of the photo.)
1000023732.jpg

(Details added for my records.)
1000023743.png

Hi, I appreciate you taking the time to comment and weigh in. I am hoping they are all pullets.

Quick question though, are you assuming I heavily edited them due to the fact that I blurred the background?

Because they aren't heavily edited, the chicks are just kept in my house in a brooder and the chicks have a way of making a big chaotic mess of everything in two seconds. So I blur out the mess in the background so the bird is all you see, instead of the bedding they have thrown everywhere.
The lighting in the room also isn't the greatest so I use my phones camera flash to help make up for some of that.
Other then the blurring, I add their ages, Band colors, and names to the photo. But that's the only editing I actually do.

For example:
These are all the same photo. The original taken with my phone camera, the blurred background one, and then the one where I added the details.

(This is why I blur the background. They make such a mess, its distracting. How do tiny chicks make such a mess?)
View attachment 3866591
(Blurred background. Easier to focus on the star of the photo.)
View attachment 3866592
(Details added for my records.)
View attachment 3866593
The background blurring is the editing I was talking about, yes. On second thought though, I see that it’s more the lighting which makes it slightly difficult. The tone is warm, which makes it a little hard to tell the true color of the comb, one thing that I normally go off of. It’s not a huge deal, and certainly your photos are much better than some I’ve seen. It’s just a little detail that makes it a bit tricky.

I’m sorry if I came across as a little rude, I certainly didn’t mean to be. :)

The background blurring is the editing I was talking about, yes. On second thought though, I see that it’s more the lighting which makes it slightly difficult. The tone is warm, which makes it a little hard to tell the true color of the comb, one thing that I normally go off of. It’s not a huge deal, and certainly your photos are much better than some I’ve seen. It’s just a little detail that makes it a bit tricky.

I’m sorry if I came across as a little rude, I certainly didn’t mean to be. :)
No worries. All good.

I just figured I'd explain the "editing" since if you were thinking it there were probably others who were too.

I took more photos today, tried to play with my camera settings to get better photos.
I think I may have some cockerels after all.

Okay. I took more photos today because I was looking at some of them and their combs/wattles are turning red. Even though they are still relatively small for their age. I know typically when they turn red so early it's a good sign it's a cockerel because pullets don't normally turn red until they are laying or about to start laying.

Green band/ I'm leaning towards cockerel, comb is a lot more red.
1000023957.jpg

1000023959.jpg

Red Band| I'm leaning towards Pullet. Comb is smaller and still an orange/pink.

1000023961.jpg

1000023963.jpg

1000023974.jpg

Blue Band / I'm also leaning towards cockerel with this one due to the coloring of the comb.
1000023965.jpg

1000023967.jpg

Purple band/ I am unsure on this one. Possibly Pullet.
1000023969.jpg

1000023977.jpg

Yellow Band/ I'm leaning towards cockerel with this one too. Comb color.
1000023971.jpg

Thoughts?

Also side question, does anyone else have silkies? And do your do this?

1000023981.jpg

Literally snuggles in and buries her face, then goes to sleep.
She's my first silkie.

Okay. I took more photos today because I was looking at some of them and their combs/wattles are turning red. Even though they are still relatively small for their age. I know typically when they turn red so early it's a good sign it's a cockerel because pullets don't normally turn red until they are laying or about to start laying.

Green band/ I'm leaning towards cockerel, comb is a lot more red.
View attachment 3868470

View attachment 3868472
I’m still leaning pullet for green band. Cockerels will have two barring genes, making their white bars wider and brighter than a pullet’s. This one looks fairly dark. And while the comb is bigger than the others, it’s not quite as big as I’d expect for a cockerel. This one probably needs a bit more time to know for sure.
Red Band| I'm leaning towards Pullet. Comb is smaller and still an orange/pink.

View attachment 3868474
View attachment 3868475
View attachment 3868482
Red band is for sure a pullet.
Blue Band / I'm also leaning towards cockerel with this one due to the coloring of the comb.
View attachment 3868476
View attachment 3868483
Blue band I’m also pretty certain is a pullet. That comb is a little big, but quite pale, and the barring is very dark.
Purple band/ I am unsure on this one. Possibly Pullet.
View attachment 3868484
View attachment 3868485
Purple band looks like a pullet.
Yellow Band/ I'm leaning towards cockerel with this one too. Comb color.
View attachment 3868486
Hmm. Yellow band seems to have the lightest barring out of all of them, but not a very large comb. I think this one needs a bit more time to be sure, but I’m leaning pullet.
Also side question, does anyone else have silkies? And do your do this?

View attachment 3868487
Literally snuggles in and buries her face, then goes to sleep.
She's my first silkie.
I don’t have Silkies, but some of my hens do this too. They’re just friendly and love hugs!

I’m still leaning pullet for green band. Cockerels will have two barring genes, making their white bars wider and brighter than a pullet’s. This one looks fairly dark. And while the comb is bigger than the others, it’s not quite as big as I’d expect for a cockerel. This one probably needs a bit more time to know for sure.

Red band is for sure a pullet.

Blue band I’m also pretty certain is a pullet. That comb is a little big, but quite pale, and the barring is very dark.

Purple band looks like a pullet.

Hmm. Yellow band seems to have the lightest barring out of all of them, but not a very large comb. I think this one needs a bit more time to be sure, but I’m leaning pullet.

I don’t have Silkies, but some of my hens do this too. They’re just friendly and love hugs!
I agree, yellow band is the iffy for me with the size of the comb. I can say there's some lighting differences going on that could be throwing off the barring.
Last pic (3rd) of red band is lighter barring than first 2 pics.
Same with last pic (2nd) of purple band.

So the single pic of yellow band is throwing me off. That comb size, tho.

Edited to add... These pics are nicer ones. The yellow combs and legs on the previous enhanced ones were, blam! Super vivid. 🙂

I agree, yellow band is the iffy for me with the size of the comb. I can say there's some lighting differences going on that could be throwing off the barring.
Last pic (3rd) of red band is lighter barring than first 2 pics.
Same with last pic (2nd) of purple band.

So the single pic of yellow band is throwing me off. That comb size, tho.

Edited to add... These pics are nicer ones. The yellow combs and legs on the previous enhanced ones were, blam! Super vivid. 🙂
The lighting in the room I have them in is terrible. I don't actually enhance the photos at all. Just blur the background normally.
But I played around with the settings on my phones camera, found a low light setting. And took the pictures with those settings.
They came out crisper I think. I also didn't use the flash this time since I changed settings and I think my camera flash adds warmth to the photos. Changing the color appearance.

The gender on these 5 are driving me crazy because some of them act very dominating and are fighting.
So if they are cockerels, I will rehome them. If it's an attitudinal Pullet, they can go in a time out Bin for now. Lol.

The lighting in the room I have them in is terrible. I don't actually enhance the photos at all. Just blur the background normally.
But I played around with the settings on my phones camera, found a low light setting. And took the pictures with those settings.
They came out crisper I think. I also didn't use the flash this time since I changed settings and I think my camera flash adds warmth to the photos. Changing the color appearance.

The gender on these 5 are driving me crazy because some of them act very dominating and are fighting.
So if they are cockerels, I will rehome them. If it's an attitudinal Pullet, they can go in a time out Bin for now. Lol.
Gotcha, these were nicer pics. I think it's because it's just the normal way we usually see pictures so we are used to them like this. Your enhanced were nice and vivid just out of the norm I think. Speaking just for myself here, tho.

Your little ones I think are just play challenging each other, but this is how they establish the pecking order. Each one is vying for head hen position until they each learn their place. All normal behavior unless it's over aggressive blood shed, then I would intervene. For now I would let them work it out, they're being chickens.

Back
Top Bottom