Help, are any of these roosters?

kitkitneha

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Canada

Hello Everyone! im new here on BYC and Im new to chickens its my first flock. I have 2 partridge cochin, 1 ameraucauna, and 4 plymouth barred rock. I got them at 2 weeks old unsexed from a back yard breeder. They are now around 14 weeks and no one has crowed yet lol so i was wondering if you can help me identify which are roo"s if any.
here are some pictures of hopefully all girls :D thank you!

Last edited:
The top one is a roo, I'm leaning roo on the center one, and the one on the right in the bottom picture is a roo. The only hen is the one on the left in the bottom picture.

You have one Partridge cochin and one Barred Rock that are roosters. The Cochin in the first pic and the BR on the right in the 3rd pic (the lighter colored one). I'd keep an eye on the Ameraucana, too. They are harder to sex, but I'm thinking it's a rooster as well.

Last edited:
:( I kind of felt like the first one was right from we got it just from the personality, but the others i"m definately disappointed, that means I may only have 3 hens out of the 7 ...but Thats the gamble of unsexed i guess. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
You have a pair of Partridge cochins[the blacker one is male, the browner one female], a possibly male Ameraucana [or EE, but looks pure], And those two barred rocks you posted are a male[the lighter one] and a female[darker one].
Do you have pics of your other 2 barreds?

Ah I see a pic of your flock in your profile, you have 2 barred cockerels, and 2 barred pullets.

Last edited:
Yup the other 2 BR are the exact same as the pair I posted so definately 2 males n 2 females. That leads to another question ... I can only keep one rooster, any suggestions on which would be the best to keep? The cochin, BR, or the EE?

Yup the other 2 BR are the exact same as the pair I posted so definately 2 males n 2 females. That leads to another question ... I can only keep one rooster, any suggestions on which would be the best to keep? The cochin, BR, or the EE?
Personally, I would keep the Cochin. They tend to be much more docile and are just beautiful roos! It really just depends on your needs though, if you want to breed full blood cochins or breed some lovely colored egg layers!

The top one is a roo, I'm leaning roo on the center one, and the one on the right in the bottom picture is a roo.  The only hen is the one on the left in the bottom picture.

I see one pullet in 3rd pic on right and the bottom pic the Cochin on the left is a cockerel and the one on right looks like it might be a pullet, I believe the rest are cockerels, expect maybe 1, not to sure on that one!

The top one is a roo, I'm leaning roo on the center one, and the one on the right in the bottom picture is a roo. The only hen is the one on the left in the bottom picture.

I completely missed seeing the 4th picture down (with the Cochins). Only saw the top 3. When I said " the bottom picture," I was referring to the 3rd one down with the Barred Rocks in it. In the 4th picture (this time really the bottom one), the Cochin on the left is a roo and the one on the right is a hen. Sorry about the mistake in missing the 4th picture.

Back
Top Bottom