Help! Crack at wrong end without pip

Wellsfamily7165

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2024
I'm at day 20 and have an egg that has cracks going around the very end of the pointy end of egg but there's no actual pip. I tried to get picks but not the greatest, the black spot is not a hole, just spot on the egg. This egg was very active good portion of the day but haven't seen any movement for several hours now. I don't know if I should just wait and see what happens or if I need to intervene in some way? I don't wanna jump the gun and create more issues but don't wanna lose the chick if I can save it. Any advice would be very much appreciated

Attachments

• 20240427_001912.jpg
    20240427_001912.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20240427_001857.jpg
    20240427_001857.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 8
Just took one. Got humidty at 79% amd temp has stayed at 100 ....still not sure it'll be able to get out on it's own later but will keep a close eye and help it along when it's absorbed everything if I need to....whew! Thank God and you for your help!

Attachments

• 20240427_164537.jpg
    20240427_164537.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 9
You may not be a chicken expert but everything you've advised thus far has been right on the money....after you mentioned the vit E I started looking that up specifically and found exactly what you were talking about. They need the selenium to absorb the vit E so I'm gonna go out first thing in morning to get some. In the meantime I mixed up some homemade electrolytes for him and hes been accepting. He managed to wiggle out of his little egg and the bowl I had him in but he was actually upright when I found him outside the bowl and not rolling around looking like he had a broken neck so I'm starting to think there may be some hope for the little guy after all. I'm praying there is and that I didn't just prolong his death and cause him to suffer unnecessarily

Had several pip and start trying to zip a little throughout the day yesterday. One just finished hatching and my little "breech" baby is still hanging in there. Membrane is staying moist and it's still moving in there. I'm waiting a little longer to try to give him a chance to come out on his own but if he doesn't pretty soon I'll probably have to finish helping him along I think.

Yes, I've kept watch and he's still not ready. Can still see veins so it's gonna be a while it looks like. Starting to think he wasn't trying to pip at all when he cracked the pointy end, maybe just cracked from him being crammed in the little area or something. Have 3 that hatched so far.....fingers crossed he and the others come out healthy.

Not yet, I got up around 6am to check progress and he was just screaming and it looked like there were no longer active blood vessels so I went ahead and help him out some more and put him back. I'm not sure why he's not just coming out on his own. Still not 100% what position he was in when he cracked the end of the egg but he looks like he's moved around the right way. He's either cracked it by accident moving around or he's turned himself around ?? 🤷‍♀️ when I first opened it up I cound see a foot and now all I see is beak and wing like you would expect. I'm trying to give him more time but if he starts screaming again I may go ahead and finish helping him

Attachments

• 20240429_082759.jpg
    20240429_082759.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 16
Pretty sure my incubator is junk at this point....Definitely returning it after this. Lesson learned tho, next time I'll have a better incubator and will keep back up thermometers and hygrometers. One of the others that had pipped this morning, died within 4-5hrs of doing so. It somehow managed to break through the shell but not the membrane and suffocated. It never occurred to me to check on it, the other that pipped around same time hatched out no problem but still had a little yolk left. I ended up candling the rest after that incident because I wasn't seeing any movement from them and on day 23, and getting close to day 24. Found 3 that were fully developed but had died for some reason without even making an internal pip , 2 quitters, and 3 more that were malpositioned. I've got the 3 left that I've been following same procedure as the first little guy who thankfully made it out on his own after a few rounds of assistance. Hoping these last 3 make it as well. One is ready but I'm trying to let him do it on his own and the other 2 still clearly have yolk and active blood vessels.....seems like some of them really lagged behind on development. I've been a nurse for over 20yrs but this is my 1st time trying to hatch my own babies and it's been nerve wracking and I'm far from an excitable person....feel like people are easier to assess at this point...lol. I do have 5 healthy babies and hoping to have 3 more soon...started out with 14 eggs at lock down.

I've been giving him water with ACV tiny bit at a time, hadn't seen anything about the vit E helping neuro issues in poultry so I'll definitely start giving the little guy some...what you described is exactly what he's been doing so that gives me a little hope that he has a chance at recovery. You've been a tremendous help to me, very much appreciated!

Do you see any bruising around the cracks? If it has actually cracked the shell it should be able to breathe. Otherwise you can make a pin sized safety hole above its beak.
Unfortunately I’m more experienced with duck eggs. I had 2 duck eggs that tried to hatch on the wrong end. One was able to externally pip and hatch without assistance. The other wasn’t able to pip, just bruised the shell. I made a safety hole, and then fully assisted the hatch 2 days later. Both survived

Do you see any bruising around the cracks? If it has actually cracked the shell it should be able to breathe. Otherwise you can make a pin sized safety hole above its beak.
Unfortunately I’m more experienced with duck eggs. I had 2 duck eggs that tried to hatch on the wrong end. One was able to externally pip and hatch without assistance. The other wasn’t able to pip, just bruised the shell. I made a safety hole, and then fully assisted the hatch 2 days later. Both survived
I don't see any bruising. Maybe I'll try to candle it and see if i can tell whats going on in there and try doing the safety hole. I appreciate the response

Back
Top Bottom