Help! Dry membrane

clairec1

Hatching
Jul 1, 2024
Hi there, I need some advice about this little guy trying to hatch. First pic is at 0445 today, and when I went to bed the previous evening there was no pip yet. However, it looks like the chick made a pretty significant initial effort. The chick in the first picture caused some usual chaos in the incubator and I was hoping it would encourage this egg. But now the second picture appears super dried out and this is at 1700 (12 hours later). This chick has made little to no progress. It’s alive in there and makes noise occasionally, but doesn’t look like it’s trying to break free.
Should I wet the membrane to help it out? Or should I wait the full 24 hours to do anything? I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• IMG_8746.jpeg
    IMG_8746.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8781.jpeg
    IMG_8781.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 9
Wait a full 24 hours. It’s when the membrane looks like it’s saran wrapped to the chick or browning that it’s a problem. Chicks go through periods where they work for a bit at hatching and then take long breaks because they get tired out. All normal.

Wait a full 24 hours. It’s when the membrane looks like it’s saran wrapped to the chick or browning that it’s a problem. Chicks go through periods where they work for a bit at hatching and then take long breaks because they get tired out. All normal.
So is the brown membrane in the second picture concerning then?

Back
Top Bottom