Help Me Sex My Baby Brown Leghorn

HJECG

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 27, 2013
USDA Zone 7
This is Brownie, our new baby Brown Leghorn. I happen to think Brownie is possibly the cutest baby chicken on the planet. She's from a local feed store, and I believe she came from McMurray Hatchery. You can see by my choice of pronouns that I'm an optimist. Anybody see anything yet that would tip the scales in favor of Brownie being one gender or the other?
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Too early to tell...nothing indicates roo at this point. The comb will take off and get big and red, often by 4 to 6 weeks for roo's of this breed.

Wait a few more weeks and re-post.
Lady of McCamley

This is Brownie, our new baby Brown Leghorn. I happen to think Brownie is possibly the cutest baby chicken on the planet. She's from a local feed store, and I believe she came from McMurray Hatchery. You can see by my choice of pronouns that I'm an optimist. Anybody see anything yet that would tip the scales in favor of Brownie being one gender or the other?
[/URL]

From what I found out on the net so far, your Brownie seems to be a pullet, as it has the very distinct darker markings (bold dark colors on back up to triangle on head) and the defined dark eye stripe from the corner of its eyes to the ears. Males supposed to be very light colored and have neither the triangle on their head or such a defined eye stripe. At least as far as I found so far...

From what I found out on the net so far, your Brownie seems to be a pullet, as it has the very distinct darker markings (bold dark colors on back up to triangle on head) and the defined dark eye stripe from the corner of its eyes to the ears. Males supposed to be very light colored and have neither the triangle on their head or such a defined eye stripe. At least as far as I found so far...

That is true with the autosexing breed Welsummer but not with Brown Leghorns...males and females look alike as chicks.

Lady of McCamley

Too early to tell...nothing indicates roo at this point. The comb will take off and get big and red, often by 4 to 6 weeks for roo's of this breed.

Wait a few more weeks and re-post.
Lady of McCamley

That is true with the autosexing breed Welsummer but not with Brown Leghorns...males and females look alike as chicks.

Lady of McCamley
X2 on both of the above posts.

Ya to early to tell but if I had to take a guess. This is just a guess from my baby chick experience. You have a pullet on your hands.

Back
Top Bottom