Help Sexing Blue Orpington Chicks...thank you

littlechicklet

Songster
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
East TN
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I have followed on and off for a while and just decided to join. I have 5 blue Orpington chicks & would like an opinion on how many of pullets vs cockerels there are. This is my first time with Orpingtons and I do not have a clue how to sex them. In the pic below they are almost 5 weeks old (will be tomorrow or next day). They are just now getting into the gawky stage to me. They are suppose to be out of good stock but I am wondering because 2 of them appear to be very light grey and seem to be developing more slowly. As I said I do not know anything about Orpingtons other than I think they are beautiful birds. These are my first "quality" pure breed not hatchery or EE's. Thanks for taking the time to view my post. First pic is them at 1 week old.

the blue color is different than most it will come in light to dark shades and if you breed blue to blue you will get blue black and splash so these could be from good stock

They are cute. It may be a little early to tell yet, maybe another week or two and you can be more positive. So far I don't see anything that says boy, but the cockerels do tend to feather in later than pullets so that may be your first sign.

Thank you for replying to my post. Does anyone know the things I can look for as far as development to help me sex them? Thanks

thanks again. I am thinking there are 2 cockerels. They are the ones in the back on each side. They are much larger, thicker legs and their combs are bigger but no color change yet. I bought them straight run and was hoping to get at least 2 pullets but 3 would be great. Of course I am only guessing because if they are developing at different rates I could end up with 5 cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom