HELP! Sick baby chick/unsure cause

Amazing_chicks27

In the Brooder
May 13, 2024
Hello, I am new here so I just got made an account here. I have a sick baby chick, I believe he/she is only 3 days old. I found him/her laying upside down in a lonely area of my backyard were my chickens rarely go to. She has cuts on his/her feet and can't walk or stand.

Yesterday, she would chirp a lot and move around a lot and I didn't give him/her any water and food. Which now, I am regretting so much because today, she is more quiet and doesn't move much, or chirp. I have also noticed that her beak is pale. I am scared to lose him/her. He/she doesn't seem to want to eat. However, I have given him/her some electrolytes for people (unsure if it is safe to use). I gave him/her a bit of egg yolk. But I am not sure if this quietness is any good. She also doesn't open her eyes frequently. Yesterday, she would but now she seems to be worse than yesterday. HELP

I do believe he/she has a straddle leg but I am not sure. This is the first time caring for a sick baby chick. I need some advice.

1. How much food and what can I give her to give nutrients?
2. How many times a day should I give it food or water/electrolytes?
3. Are there any homemade recipes to treat it?

Not sure if it is starting to die now. Any tips may help!

1st attachment - Day I found it in backyard
2nd Attachment - Is from today but around 7 o'clock PM.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-05-11-19-09-01-917.jpg
    IMG_2024-05-11-19-09-01-917.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2024-05-13-19-49-06-207.jpg
    IMG_2024-05-13-19-49-06-207.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 9
Hi, and sorry nobody got back to you sooner. I hope your chick is still alive but by the pictures, it looks like it was out there for a while.

Just in case:

Baby chicks need starter/grower feed.
Yes, electrolytes should help, but needs food too and should always have access to both food and water 24/7.

It should be at 95F for its first week.

It does look like splayed legs. You can fix those by binding the legs so they are straight under the chick. I used a thin strip of Vet Wrap, but some use bandaids. Go around one leg then to the other, leaving space between the legs so they are straight underneath it.

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC!!

Hi, and sorry nobody got back to you sooner. I hope your chick is still alive but by the pictures, it looks like it was out there for a while.

Just in case:

Baby chicks need starter/grower feed.
Yes, electrolytes should help, but needs food too and should always have access to both food and water 24/7.

It should be at 95F for its first week.

It does look like splayed legs. You can fix those by binding the legs so they are straight under the chick. I used a thin strip of Vet Wrap, but some use bandaids. Go around one leg then to the other, leaving space between the legs so they are straight underneath it.

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC!!
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. Sadly, it died last week on Tuesday night. Thank you for replying and giving extra advice. I will keep it for other future happenings.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom