Help with a Great Pyrenees

Oh, wow. She hasn't had a check up this year yet, but you think it could be a medical issue? I didn't even consider that to be a possibility. I'll 100% check into it! Thanks so much.
May not necessarily be physical health either. They're very intelligent. She very well could be doing this out of boredom and lack of structure and enrichment if she started at 4.

This kind of behavior is very difficult to break and it is not likely to be a medical condition. There are dogs that for whatever reason once they start killing things they just can’t stop, around here porcupines are a big problem and no matter how often the dog is quilled they still go after them with a vengeance, and quilling is a lot more detrimental than any discipline a good dog owner is going to enforce. Your best bet is to rehome to a place without poultry/small animals or make sure it is confined away from potential victims unless under direct supervision. You also don’t want it to start going after the neighbor’s critters. If there is any aggression towards children, euthanasia is highly recommended because that is a tragedy waiting to happen.
That's a bit dramatic I'd say, in my opinion you should always try rehabilitation first if you can. Most dogs can be helped it takes time though. I also don't recommend disciplining the dog, positive reinforcement and leadership is the way to go.

That's a bit dramatic I'd say, in my opinion you should always try rehabilitation first if you can. Most dogs can be helped it takes time though. I also don't recommend disciplining the dog, positive reinforcement and leadership is the way to go.
Absolutely. Especially when it just started at 4. And you are spot on. If by discipline you mean punishment. Pyrs especially don't work that way! Punishment makes them lose trust. If that happens you won't change their mind. They do need correction when they're doing something wrong or bad. They're not the kind of dog where you ignore that and distract them with something else. Tone and body language goes a long way with them and is all that is needed.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Especially when it just started at 4. And you are spot on. If by discipline you mean punishment. Pyrs especially don't work that way! Punishment makes them lose trust. If that happens you won't change their mind. They do need correction when they're doing something wrong or bad. They're not the kind of dog where you ignore that and distract them with something else. Tone and body language goes a long way with them and is all that is needed.
10000%, correction and punishment are so different too, you have to remember how a dog thinks.

I could be way off here, but...From your description it doesn't sound like she is killing and eating them or killing for sport. It may be her own maternal instincts (sexual maturity/breeding age) from the incessant cheeping. I had pyrs for 20+ years, though not around livestock. I had a 3 yr old female that found a box with a litter of day old kittens that someone dumped. I took them in to care for them. She would panic when they cried and kept stealing them, walking around with them in her mouth looking for a safe place to hide them like they were her babies. She wasn't trying to kill them, but you know, tiny little things are particularly delicate. Just a thought.

I could be way off here, but...From your description it doesn't sound like she is killing and eating them or killing for sport. It may be her own maternal instincts (sexual maturity/breeding age) from the incessant cheeping. I had pyrs for 20+ years, though not around livestock. I had a 3 yr old female that found a box with a litter of day old kittens that someone dumped. I took them in to care for them. She would panic when they cried and kept stealing them, walking around with them in her mouth looking for a safe place to hide them like they were her babies. She wasn't trying to kill them, but you know, tiny little things are particularly delicate. Just a thought.
That’s a good point

That is a really great point. We used to breed her, but then retired her last year. Her last baby just left the farm in December. Do you think it would help to get her fixed? I'll have to think on your advice a bit. That could have a lot to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom