Help with fermented feed

Squawkers

Songster
May 6, 2024
I have been attempting to ferment my chickens feed for a while. At first, I thought I was doing it right, but then I saw a pic of someone else’s fermented feed, and it was WAY bubblier than mine. So I started leaving my feed to ferment longer, but it never looked like that before it molded. At this point, I don’t know exactly what it is supposed to look like or how I know it is done. Can you please post pictures of what your fed feed looks like when you say it is done. Also, any tips? I live in Texas and it is about 90 to 100 every day. I keep the fermenting feed outside in the shed. I know I’ve heard that some feeds just don’t ferment as well and I am planning on changing feed for a different reason soon but other than that, do y’all have any tips?

I have been attempting to ferment my chickens feed for a while. At first, I thought I was doing it right, but then I saw a pic of someone else’s fermented feed, and it was WAY bubblier than mine. So I started leaving my feed to ferment longer, but it never looked like that before it molded. At this point, I don’t know exactly what it is supposed to look like or how I know it is done. Can you please post pictures of what your fed feed looks like when you say it is done. Also, any tips? I live in Texas and it is about 90 to 100 every day. I keep the fermenting feed outside in the shed. I know I’ve heard that some feeds just don’t ferment as well and I am planning on changing feed for a different reason soon but other than that, do y’all have any tips?
What are you using to "start" your ferment? Generally, hotter ferments are more active - but if you are using "wild" things in your environment to start your ferment, you are dependent on what is in your air and water. You might want to consider an active starter.

Speaking of, are you using chlorinated water? That will have an impact.

And yes, different ingredients ferment differently - and their preparation affects speed of ferment as well - crushed grains ferment faster than whole - due to both the protective coating on whole grains being intact and because of the ratio of surface area to volume.

What are you using to "start" your ferment? Generally, hotter ferments are more active - but if you are using "wild" things in your environment to start your ferment, you are dependent on what is in your air and water. You might want to consider an active starter.

Speaking of, are you using chlorinated water? That will have an impact.

And yes, different ingredients ferment differently - and their preparation affects speed of ferment as well - crushed grains ferment faster than whole - due to both the protective coating on whole grains being intact and because of the ratio of surface area to volume.
Just pelleted layer feed. What do you mean by hotter ferments? What is an active starter? No, I dechlorinate my water. I let it sit out in an open water jug overnight before using it. I forgot to say that earlier, and that the water is hard. Does that affect it?

Yes, hardness can affect it too. and hotter ferments faster, just as it sounds.

Think about beer. If you ferment with the right yeast, and very low temps, it takes a long time and you end up with a lager. Ferment with a different yeast, higher temp, and you have an ale - in less than 1/4 the time.

Some people start their ferments with live yogurt, the "mother" from unfiltered, unpasturized apple cider vinegar, live culture kefir (like yogurt, but different), kombucha, and even sourdough starter. Basically, its starting your fermentation with a fermentation that's already going. You ar innoculating your ferment with a bunch of desired bacteria and/or yeast rom the start.

Dechlorinating is good.

Can you please post pictures of what your fed feed looks like when you say it is done.
ff to serve.JPG

and this is what a simpler batch looked like before straining and rinsing. It has a very slight odour.
ff grains n peas n seeds.JPG

This, for contrast, is what fermented processed feed looked like when I started on this journey. The smell was indescribably vile. It should be obvious from the two last photos that you need to ask WHAT someone is fermenting when they say they use fermented feed, because totally different things are passing by the same label.
ff pellets.JPG

you are dependent on what is in your air and water
only if you are fermenting processed feed. If, on the other hand, you use or add some whole grains, the ferment will start from the microfauna, microflora and microfunga already present on their surfaces.

Yes, hardness can affect it too. and hotter ferments faster, just as it sounds.

Think about beer. If you ferment with the right yeast, and very low temps, it takes a long time and you end up with a lager. Ferment with a different yeast, higher temp, and you have an ale - in less than 1/4 the time.

Some people start their ferments with live yogurt, the "mother" from unfiltered, unpasturized apple cider vinegar, live culture kefir (like yogurt, but different), kombucha, and even sourdough starter. Basically, its starting your fermentation with a fermentation that's already going. You ar innoculating your ferment with a bunch of desired bacteria and/or yeast rom the start.

Dechlorinating is good.
Do you think it is being affected by the pH level? What is a good pH range and how could I make it more acidic if I needed to?

And why is it molding? I heard that that means it is exposed to air, but I am very careful to keep a layer of water on top.

I'm not aware of any fermented foods that aren't acidic. If you have an exceptionally high pH in your water, that's something you want to consider - and starting with a starter will help both jump start the ferment, and adjust acidity downward.

Somewhere around 5.5 is near optimum for yeast ferments (though the end product is alcoholic typically, there are bacteria which will then convert the alcohol to acetic acid (vinegar). Lactobaccillus like a pH closer to 6.0

Back
Top Bottom