Hen aggressive towards people

Do be aware when she is on your shoulder - she can peck out your eyes.

Personally, I would sell her, I don't think she is working out for you, your flock or your children. IMO people vastly overestimate how human intervention changes chicken behavior. I just not a believer.

Mrs K
Ahh yes lol, that photo was taken before she attacked me. There will be no more shoulder time for her, I like having eyes 😅

Do you have a rooster? Sometimes, in the absence of a rooster a dominant hen will try to fill the void and act very much like one. There is also a fairly rare condition where a hens working ovary quits and the non working ovary can develop into testes like organs and the hen will take on rooster traits. They don't lay eggs (so it says) when that happens. I've had hens do the first, I've never had one with the second issue. You may just have a very aggressive, dominant hen, who is trying to be the rooster for the flock. Or you just have a dominant, aggressive hen. I had one that was just a monster like that when I went for a period without a rooster. Once a rooster was back in the flock she settled down and went back to just being a hen. Hen or roo, I personally would not keep one that flogged or spurred me. Last roo that spurred me was not around very long. You can trim the spurs and blunt them. But it still hurts if they nail you.
Yes she definitely took on the role of rooster. She tries crowing, chases off any dove or squirrel, she even does the thing where she calls our other hen to a bug/treat and lets her eat it.
She lays 2-3 small eggs a week.

We have four 9week old EE’s, one is definitely showing signs of being a cockerel, so we may have an actual rooster soon.

Comet will hopefully find a new home this weekend.

Re-home with full disclosure but my suggestion is to dispatch her. Can you safely say for sure she's going to go to another home and not attack someone else or worse...someone's child?
I talked to my sister last night, she said she’d take her if I wasn’t able to find a different home this weekend. She doesn’t have kids and her job is training aggressive dogs to behave, and working with K9s. So I know she can handle her, but it depends on how she fits in with her existing flock.

Would getting an actual rooster help?
It could, it could not. Your hen has obviously taken on the roll of a rooster, and a rooster that is bigger and stronger than her could put Comet in her place, teaching her that she is not the boss of the flock. But if you get a rooster, expect to see bloody battles between the new rooster and Comet as they organize who is the leader of the flock. Comet is a gamefowl, and gamefowl breeds are known to be overly aggressive, often fighting to the death.

Is she just bored and needing more stimulation? We are on an acre but I do keep them in their coop unless I’m home.
No. While your chickens do sound like they need more out time, since staying in a coop for a long time is very boring, Comet's problem is more than boredom. She is clearly telling you that she is the boss "rooster" and not you.

Continue being calm and loving towards her?
No. Being calm and loving shows that you are weak. Be aggressive and fight back, even if you have to hurt her a bit to show what you mean. Kick Comet back whenever she comes at your legs, and if she comes at your hands, grab her wherever you can get a hold on.

Rehome her to someone who won’t coop her up as much?
Yes, definitely. Someone else needs Comet if she is attacking you and your children. That is too much of a risk for all family members living there. Just make sure that they know Comet is aggressive, and preferably they should have one or two roosters to show Comet who is the real boss.

Back
Top Bottom