Hens: bullying & pecking

Last one cause I’m Terrible at this 🙈

Attachments

• 982AA8CD-8A19-4678-A3D7-A006EA579E33.jpeg
    982AA8CD-8A19-4678-A3D7-A006EA579E33.jpeg
    945.4 KB · Views: 9
It could be your space. This often happens as birds reach full size. What was enough space when the were chick s is not enough space when older.

I do think I would order the peepers. They have really helped in smaller flocks.
They have my entire yard. If it’s not enough space, then they need to go live in the country lol

Last one cause I’m Terrible at this 🙈
Perhaps get something or a few things to keep them occupied. If they get bored, they will pick. Like hang veggies like squash up for them. They love that. And a scratch block keeps them occupied also. I got the veggie hangers at Amazon, they are quite handy and inexpensive.

The coop is too small.
The minor peck wounds are likely occurring inside the small coop at roost time due to the limited personal space.
Once she starts laying, hopefully things will calm down but I would be looking into making a larger coop/run. There are ways to convert the entire thing into a coop for more space and better ventilation when they are locked in there.

If they aren't pinning her down and making her bleed, I'd let them work it out.
Trying to intervene can make it worse, chickens need to manage their own society.
There should be enough space for any underdog to get away from her 'superiors'.
Spread treats wide and far so everyone gets a chance to have some without treading on a flock mates space. Given that they are just coming into lay, hormones are running high and it will take time for things to settle into the new order.

If the bullied bird is sick or otherwise malformed, she may need to be removed from the flock permanently. There's always a low bird, some cases are more extreme than others.

Again space to retreat is essential.

Ditto Dat^^^
Thank you for that info - much appreciated! I definitely wanted to make sure this isn’t the beginning of something out of the ordinary. No feathers are picked - just her face😭 I guess it’s hard to see them picking on my little sweet pea although I know that’s just part of their world.

The coop is too small.
The minor peck wounds are likely occurring inside the small coop at roost time due to the limited personal space.
Once she starts laying, hopefully things will calm down but I would be looking into making a larger coop/run. There are ways to convert the entire thing into a coop for more space and better ventilation when they are locked in there.
I agree with the coop size. They yard is good.

The coop is too small.
Ditto Dat^^^

Even tho they spend all day outside ranging, doesn't mean that close quarters might start a habit that extends to out in range area. Expand the coop/run into all coop for more space.
Where do you keep the feed and water?

Do you live in a climate where they will be able to range all year long?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1689866218509.png

The coop is too small.
Even if they only go in there to lay and sleep? They are out all day - they never go in there really. All the pecks from yesterday were out and about. They were just hanging around by my back door area and bam - snapped. Each time Ive caught it it was just around the yard :/ We plan on building a coop at some point, so bigger is the plan - just didnt think it would be an issue with them being out all day

Back
Top Bottom