Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Wow, those are very pretty! It's looks like a GLW mixed with a Java. Only thing is I don't think there recognized by the APA..

They are not admitted into the SOP. These "Auburn" Javas have been developed over the last approx 5 years by one man using birds from only one source flock.

Last edited:
This is a general response to several posts by different people. The existing colors of Java's need help, not someones mistake/project. The cuckoo Dorking should never have been admitted to the APA Standard and they are pretty much gone now anyway.
At the qualifying meet there was only two that should have passed and the rest were culls. Craig may have some, but that is about it.

The Cuckoo Dorking is one of the reasons the Standard Committee is reviewing the current rules. They will be changed and one of the big things will be that the APA will be looking for long term commitment from all those participating in the qualifying process. ....and most importantly everyone involved will have to be an APA member. The days of mobilizing online and getting a bird qualified and then you and the bird disappearing is coming to an end. Some people just want to make their mark and then they are off raising pot bellied pigs or what ever else they move on to.

I had raised SG Dorking for about 10 years in the 70's. They were big birds, had short legs, but not like the Dumpy's or Creepers that have extremely short legs. I think the lethal gene business is some online person(s) creation, as the Dorkings of the 70's reproduced like mice. If you introduce Reds you will fight brassiness until you go to the grave and the chicken color calculator will not save you.

You are not going to resurrect this breed overnight, but don't believe a lot of the things you see posted about them by people that are only "online breeders" with no hands on experience. I have handled and evaluated Kims birds (Capayvalleychick) over a couple of years and there has been a vast improvement, so I believe she is on the right track, but as noted....I don't think there is a quick fix for any breed that has gone down hill. While some of these stories you read online sound really cool, it is just a story. The lethal gene in the Japanese (short legged bird) and the rest of them are in breeds with extreme shortness of legs. As far has using longer legged birds for breeding, that is just to achieve a better position for the male to help insure fertilization. We do that with Cornish.

Walt

Now if you want a bird that's going to live long and take up some space, how about a Legacy?
I just learned about them today. Take a look: any posts by hildar, esp. post #16 :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/875290/high-in-demand-breeds/10
I can't wait to see the looks on your faces. Probably the same amazed look as mine.
Best,
Karen

big_smile.png
Someone on another thread has ordered eggs or chicks or something on these birds due to this...this...well..I don't know what to call it. Ever seen those pics where the guy holds the fish out with both arms far from his body so that the camera makes it look like a whale? That's what is going on in that pic with the boy and the low angle shot on the roost....I pointed that out to the person and they were not amused.

Quote:
Apparently they have developed these on grape juice to reach an enormous size....

Last edited:
Now if you want a bird that's going to live long and take up some space, how about a Legacy?
I just learned about them today. Take a look: any posts by hildar, esp. post #16 :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/875290/high-in-demand-breeds/10
I can't wait to see the looks on your faces. Probably the same amazed look as mine.
Best,
Karen

Don't you notice something strange about the sons hands in that photo Karen. That bird is not as big as she is saying it is and even if it was a raccoon would be eating it a hot second. There is no way a chicken is going to protect the flock against a Raccoon, fox, etc.

She ...like a lot of others online just has a good story.....and that's all it is.It is either photoshopped or he has his arm outstretched to right in front of the camera. if you look at the guys hands you can see they are huge too.

In photography I believe that effect is called "foreshortening".

w.

Last edited:
big_smile.png
Someone on another thread has ordered eggs or chicks or something on these birds due to this...this...well..I don't know what to call it. Ever seen those pics where the guy holds the fish out with both arms far from his body so that the camera makes it look like a whale? That's what is going on in that pic with the boy and the low angle shot on the roost....I pointed that out to the person and they were not amused.

Apparently they have developed these on grape juice to reach an enormous size....

ahahaha......I have some huge Shamo's and they were bred to fight for centuries and they would not last long trying to fight off a predator. I have some Shamo;s that weigh 18 lbs. Anything to sell a bird.........

w.

Last edited:
Don't you notice something strange about the sons hands in that photo Karen. That bird is not as big as she is saying it is and even if it was a raccoon would be eating it a hot second. There is no way a chicken is going to protect the flock against a Raccoon, fox, etc.

She ...like a lot of others online just has a good story.....and that's all it is.It is either photoshopped or he has his arm outstretched to right in front of the camera. if you look at the guys hands you can see they are huge too.

w.
Not really, Walt. Photography isn't my thing. I just like the picture and the bird. Oh well.
Best,
Karen

Don't you notice something strange about the sons hands in that photo Karen. That bird is not as big as she is saying it is and even if it was a raccoon would be eating it a hot second. There is no way a chicken is going to protect the flock against a Raccoon, fox,  etc.

w.
made famous by the camel spider

Back
Top Bottom