Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

This thread died, what happened? I was hoping some experts might take a look at my 4 Chantecler's for me and give me an idea of what they think of them.
These birds are from Gregg Oaks line through another source. These are my first Heritage birds that I am trying to work on. Please be honest and I will not take it personally.
These birds are nearly 6 months old.

Bird1 cockerel

Bird2

Bird3

Bird4

It looks like this thread and the SOP thread are both dead.

You might try posting there:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/882036/a-heritage-of-perfection-standard-bred-large-fowl/300

Hi,
I miss our happy little thread. I know since the Genetics forum opened, the membership
has been kinda fractured between the 2 forums. What is everyone doing this summer?
I have 29 chicks on the ground and growing them out. Of every 5 chicks, 4 look the same
and one is different in some way. So that is 80% cookie cutter. No visible DQ's. Looking
forward to building more grow out pens this week. The chicks range from 1 1/2 weeks to
2 months. I love all these different ages growing up at the same time. Really gives me a
chance to compare the growth stages side by side. Very educational.
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex
in western PA. USA

Hi Karen,

Same here.
hit.gif

What I'm doing this summer is looking forward to fall! Too hot for me! However, today is a very welcome change. It's all cloudy and cool. Right now its only 69 degrees and the expected high is 80! I LOVE IT! Lately, it would be in the high 90s by now. Ugh!

I need to fix the roof on my barn but I have this issue of taking the existing roof off before I have the plywood on hand to put the new one up. I need about 30 sheets of plywood for that job. Hopefully soon we'll be able to get it ordered and I can get going on the dismantling of the existing structure.

I did get some windows into the exterior walls of two sides of my barn so its a little cooler in there now with the better ventilation. I need to add two more windows to each side and then 3 or 4 windows to the south side. It was built next to some other buildings (part of the north wall is the back wall of a storage unit that was built. Once I get the interior of the barn undone, I intend to put more windows on the north end in places that are not part of the storage unit. I might be able to add 2 windows. I have one back there now. During the summer months, we get wind out of the northwest as well as straight west and south, but in the evenings, it usually comes from the northwest and one window in the back is not nearly enough.

So, this isn't about heritage fowl but no one is talking about anything on here anymore... just making conversation and answering your question from my perspective.

Hi,
Good to hear from you Lacey!,
I had to chuckle, one of the 2 month old cockerels I starting to crow. The cock in the backyard
crows and he answers. It's so funny, he sounds like a stangled cat, croaking out his crow.
Think I should take note of that ? Is 1st to crow a notable thing for the selection process? I don't know.
Best,
Karen

I think the ones that crow earliest are the ones that sexually mature earliest. I've had little cockerels crow at 3 weeks. Of course it doesn't sound like a crow but more like a mouse gave an extended squeak or something like that.
gig.gif

Hum,
Then I should go and note that on his leg band number in my ledger. I am hoping to get
the other 3 grow out pens done tis week. Still have 3 brooders with chicks in them. How
much room do yu think I need per chick to raise them to 4 months?
Best,
Karen

Hi,
Good to hear from you Lacey!,
I had to chuckle, one of the 2 month old cockerels I starting to crow. The cock in the backyard
crows and he answers. It's so funny, he sounds like a stangled cat, croaking out his crow.
Think I should take note of that ? Is 1st to crow a notable thing for the selection process? I don't know.
Best,
Karen

Hello, Karen and Lacy, my summer is as expected .....HOT. At least, we have had a lot of rain the past 2 weeks and it is a blessing. I have 35 chicks now. 14 are 4 1/2 mo, 13 are about 5 or 6 weeks and 10 babies about 2 weeks. However, I have SG Dorking eggs coming about Aug 25. Woohoo. Out of the 35 I have 21 SBEL's super blue egg layer CCL cock over White or Exchequer Leghorn. Great little babies. Very active and happy. I have one each of EO Basque and Coronation Sussex. Tom in Pa is sending me replacements of these 2 in Sept since only 2 hatched. I'll pay for shipping and I really appreciate it. I'm going to concentrate on the Dorking and the other two. My blue egg layers will just be layers. The males will have the blue gene so I can sell as breeders DMRippy said. I don't know. I don't care. I'm just going to have fun with what happens and go from there. That's what this is all about, right?
tongue2.gif

Yup, Linda, sounds like fun with the blue egg layers~ What is a SBEL? My hens March
and May have decide to sit eggs at this late date. I am just going to let them sit. 1st time
May has shown any interest in sitting since she has been here, so that's a good thing.
I am not happy the chicks will be hatched this late in the year. It's a quandary what I will
do with them.
he.gif

Sigh,
Karen

Yup, Linda, sounds like fun with the blue egg layers~ What is a SBEL? My hens March
and May have decide to sit eggs at this late date. I am just going to let them sit. 1st time
May has shown any interest in sitting since she has been here, so that's a good thing.
I am not happy the chicks will be hatched this late in the year. It's a quandary what I will
do with them.
he.gif

Sigh,
Karen

It's a hybrid of Crested Cream Legbar cock over White or exchequer leghorns. Called Super Blue Egg Layers. I bought them on a whim and I just love them. My favorite is the Basque. I had the incubator in my bedroom and I heard a knocking. She was pecking on the glass to get my attention. Stared me right in the eye. Demanded attention. The coronation Sussex was just about as attentive too. Love them.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom