Herniated Chick needs help! (graphic photo)

Pics

venymae

Prairie Wind
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Manhappiness, Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
I had a chick hatch that got wrapped up in some extra goo/cordage which caused a slight hernia in the navel. After cutting it loose, I put it in a tupperware container lined with a wet washcloth inside the incubator, figuring it would correct on it's own. Then I left for thanksgiving. When I got home, the chick has somehow managed to get out of the container and onto the hardware cloth flooring of the incubator, which caught on the hernia and pulled it out about an inch and a half long. Quite a bit of blood residue in the incubator. Chick is active and vocal, but I don't have high hopes. Has anyone dealt successfully with this before???
FbM4Ot0cGhTOwSytuArJVsZ6seoMOeWZlVG-Rv4lzwgWjqPlIrV0RryHHpnzsAzHJrEcG5PueDUxXJVv8XD7rFe-z1lgo25HHSwp-4p9laUM9qNK5UEe-vxA1SmbTwdR0Mj1st8RtXNpLruWR8rCMi9P0tGDuchi94Kz-4jA3887d0Qddrufw-RODiP0KArczQlxSiOW92XuVyTZr62kwM3OFa9hUMuA7TuFxAqc7nF_etsTREMZXHQHloiIVKpI91_3xTpZosreaD3If8RTef7RH86103PfgJlE1JHUnv2tvoiPUtePoyYcDlb8228TEo3BqabiXHsegfiS-D1K2JQ95WDbboNFDrz_1Lmmnt8DY4d8S3KZ0lr_jP0SUoDYGZNJLFgF29te2luiySYFwcRrUrmhqxmsfsAy3n6IG1LmeFxx2lDKSOCH7JQqVpnlnHUji7FPu1F7JS1CemcB2rsmUKXzD6M-ipR45spTRwUspmjpvRcOWTjP2XZzk_rFa75imdpNxFhGBDYdvzYzvy5DnIpyPk677hWLvhly2nTPb7BHhU247Bt4bWNSyrGM3PYNdABdkcANmpYaa_0ei2gviCQqjX3YQmftstGO0ZA=w1018-h1356-no

@BantyChooks @Ravynscroft @ChickenCanoe @mlm Mike @Sally Sunshine @Farmer Connie @Wickedchicken6 @Akrnaf2 help meeeeeee!

Last edited:
No, I think that you should disinfect the place with Iodine or other products, and let it be in an isolation.
Is it still bleeding?
Thanks Benny! It's not actively bleeding, no. I put it in a small cup that I wiped out with iodine. It's tall enough to not get out. Do you think that will suffice? I have not actually disinfected the hernia, as I am afraid to accidentally pull it more. I do have rubbing alcohol I could rinse it with if that would be a good idea. I just worry I will do more harm than good!

Edit: the cup is in the incubator, there are no other chicks in the incubator.

Last edited:
Thanks Benny! It's not actively bleeding, no. I put it in a small cup that I wiped out with iodine. It's tall enough to not get out. Do you think that will suffice? I have not actually disinfected the hernia, as I am afraid to accidentally pull it more. I do have rubbing alcohol I could rinse it with if that would be a good idea. I just worry I will do more harm than good!

Don't touch it anymore, see how it will progress in a day.
You should take in consideration that it could die.

Are you still on? I've had experience with herniated chicks.

This is how I've handled the chicks I've had with hernias. I've lost a herniated quail, but I saved the two chicks I had with hernias. This is not for the faint of heart. If you can get someone to help you...that certainly helps a lot.

You want a small (preferably disinfected tool) I used a pair of tweezers. A pair with a rounded pincers would be best. I had a pointed pair, so I had to be careful I didn't perforate the intestines.

You want to have your helper hold the chick so the chick can't move. It helps if the chick is on its back or almost upside down if the chick won't struggle. You want the chick to be stationary and not struggle because it will push the intestine out further.

At the base of the hernia, you want to carefully begin to tuck the intestines back into the body cavity. Since you're on...we'll talk it out....lol.
IMG_20171123_223447shopped.jpg

Back
Top Bottom