You don't live close to any barns right? I think I asked that before...my memory is sometimes questionable :lau

You could try reaching out on FB looking for stables that need some help. Volunteer your time. If the stable finds you to be a good candidate, you could swap work for lessons/riding. I've done this and have gotten some amazing experience.

I hope you can find something!

I have to travel pretty far for horse related things in my area, so I totally get it.
Not really. I mean, I don’t love super far. There’s tons around, probably 10-15 or 20 mins away but I don’t drive. So it’s hard to get there.

Do your horse live 24/7 in a pasture? Why or why not? Sorry for asking I’m just researching and curious what is best for the horse and what some people do and don’t do.
Barn/Stalls: They have two 15x20’ stalls that I keep the back Dutch doors open on pretty much 24/7 so it is similar to a run-in style. The total space is 30x20’, but we built the divider in case someone was being bossy that way they couldn’t kick everyone out.

Grazing: We rotationally graze as well. Currently we have (2x) 3 acre pastures that we rotate the horses between on a monthly basis. When the horses are moved out of one pasture we do a light rake to break up the manure and mow then let it rest for the month. However, by next year we are hoping to have (4x) 3 acre pastures for a total of 12 acres of pasture to rotate monthly between. The plan is every fall to pick two of the pastures to seed, fertilize and let rest over the winter. Every year rotating which pastures gets seeded and fertilized in the fall. We set it up so there is a “sacrifice” paddock outside of the barn that has multiple gates each leading to a different pasture that way we can just open and close whichever gates to each pasture.

Hay/Feed:
-The horses are fed free choice grass hay.
-They receive a daily soaked mash that consists of:
~Timothy pellets
~Vermont Blend PRO
~Omega E
~Redmond Daily Gold
~Salt

Reason: Horses are pretty capable of taking care of themselves. When we were trying to figure out what to do with the layout I designed everything to maximize their ability to choose and to maintain a diet that allows them to continually graze. I do not feed my horses any sugar or extra carby pre-mixed feed. I have drafts and a pony which both groups are more prone to metabolic disorders so I focus on meeting their vitamin, mineral and gut needs with their supplements without the extras. Even the grass seed we planted I was very particular on which grasses planted to avoid a big sugary mess of pasture.
IMG_6693.jpeg

Last edited:
Barn/Stalls: They have two 15x20’ stalls that I keep the back Dutch doors open on pretty much 24/7 so it is similar to a run-in style. The total space is 30x20’, but we built the divider in case someone was being bossy that way they couldn’t kick everyone out.

Grazing: We rotationally graze as well. Currently we have (2x) 3 acre pastures that we rotate the horses between on a monthly basis. When the horses are moved out of one pasture we do a light rake to break up the manure and mow then let it rest for the month. However, by next year we are hoping to have (4x) 3 acre pastures for a total of 12 acres of pasture to rotate monthly between. The plan is every fall to pick two of the pastures to seed, fertilize and let rest over the winter. Every year rotating which pastures gets seeded and fertilized in the fall. We set it up so there is a “sacrifice” paddock outside of the barn that has multiple gates each leading to a different pasture that way we can just open and close whichever gates to each pasture.

Hay/Feed:
~Timothy pellets
~Vermont Blend PRO
~Omega E
~Redmond Daily Gold
~Salt

Reason: Horses are pretty capable of taking care of themselves. When we were trying to figure out what to do with the layout I designed everything to maximize their ability to choose and to maintain a diet that allows them to continually graze. I do not feed my horses any sugar or extra carby pre-mixed feed. I have drafts and a pony which both groups are more prone to metabolic disorders so I focus on meeting their vitamin, mineral and gut needs with their supplements without the extras. Even the grass seed we planted I was very particular on which grasses planted to avoid a big sugary mess of pasture.
View attachment 3881693
Awesome!!!!!

Hay/Feed:
~Timothy pellets
~Vermont Blend PRO
~Omega E
~Redmond Daily Gold
~Salt

View attachment 3881693
Thank you for answering my question! How you are caring for your horses is what I’ve been reading about 😊

I understand. I don't like driving; it gives me anxiety. It's too inorganic. Now, if I could ride a horse everywhere, that'd be perfect!
I understand that. I love riding. But for me, I liked driving too, I’m just not allowed to atm with my meds

Back
Top Bottom