How do you prepare your poultry pals when severe weather strikes?

We have had tornadoes within 20 minutes of us. But never have they actually hit.
We have has strong 65-70 mph winds, and rain that flooded pur backyard. The girls stayed in the coop on those days until the flooding went away.
Our coop is heavy so im never worried about it flying away. It took 5 people and a bobcat to move it. We havr dog pannel fencing thats a few inches in the ground. And then 4x 4 posts and 2 x4s holding up the roof, which is tin. Which is then bolted to our garage.
If a severe storm were to hit i know my girls would be safe as they know where to hide once they escape the run.

We get more snow here than we do severe storms, so i always put tarps around the run. And if its negative degrees i lock them in the coop.
All very good! I do all those as well, love my critters! We invested in some heavy built Amish coops so they seem to be pretty good, just those weaker panels that make up their runs is the main concern. I am going to try the post trick, that is really smart.
Thank you for your comment!

That looks really nice! I really like how these hoop houses sound. Do they stand well against predators if you use the right wire?
Yes they do. Over the cattle panels I have chicken wire and half way up that I have the hardware cloth. I have not had a predator in that pen ever not even any broken wire like in the pen I have next to it that has three large holes in one side. Unfortunately for the predator I had my most take no crap roosters in there.

Back
Top Bottom