how long after dark does a raccoon come out?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
do raccoons tend to come out right at dark or a few hours later? i was wondering because it gets dark at about 8:30 here and if we eat out tonight and get home at 9pm im not sure if i should leave the coop door open or send the hens in before they are ready for bed
hmm.png

what would you do? the coop is 100% secure but the run is 0% secure

I have saw 'coons out 2-3 hours after daylight and before dusk. Like humans and all other animals, they look for food and water when ever they want it.

Around our place the adults come out at all times. I've seen them wandering around at 10:00 in the morning. The juveniles seem to come out at about the same time my dusk to dawn light comes on, about an hour after the sun has gone down.

It is not so much about night and day as it is about when human activity dies down , when there are no people around doing things animals take advantage of the situation and feast. I have seen raccoons raid dumpsters that had security lights on all night they did not care it was bright as day there were just no people around and with the lights on it was probably easier for them to see what they were eating / doing
smile.png

We see them right at dusk,and early in the a.m. They were in the yard at 6: am this morning. with the electric fence on they didn't even go close to the run.

I have photos of them on my cam at all hours of the night starting a dusk all the way threw dawn ,

I do have one that comes out in the daytime, she somehow caught herself in the live trap and i had it ib the locked position anyway when i went to turn her loose i found she was blind in one eye so figured thats why she is out at the feeder in the daytime ,my guineas get within 3 to 4 feet of her chattering away but she never messes with them .

Raccoons will hunt 24/7, especially when there are young ones being raised. They will come out all day as well as all night. aprophet is right, it depends more upon human/dog activity.

sydney, you are so wise to ask. Better to err on the side of caution as one never knows whether something like a flat tire could delay return home. I know how they hate to go in earlier than they want to, but it's better. You can give them some treats to keep them busy when you have to lock them in early
smile.png

JJ

Back
Top Bottom