How many chickens should I keep

I don't see any capitalization, nor condescending, in Mrs K's post.
So who the "keyboard warrior"?
“ NOW” go back and read those two sentences again.

“With birds, the number needs to fit the space you have NOW. If you want more birds than that - build first, and then add in more birds. Keeping too many birds in too small of space with the idea that they will wait for you to build later is a recipe for miserable and unhappy birds.”

Condescending Defintion:” having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.”

Patronizing Defintion: “apparently kind or helpful but betraying a feeling of superiority

It is part of my job to understand the meaning of words . I am the opposite of a keyboard warrior. I was just pointing out the fact that Mrs. K sounded like she was coming off this way.. when that’s not the purpose of this forum.

I think she meant the word "NOW", but I think K meant it as emphasis - not as yelling or condescendence.

Earlier in this forum I mentioned that we were going to upsize once we made decisions. At least I believe I insinuated that. I thought that Mrs. K was commenting on that. In other words, I thought she was criticizing that we hadn’t already done so.

If I were to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that is not what she was doing, then that would mean that she didn’t review the previous comments made.

Butttt if that is infact what she did (saw that I said something about waiting to upsize and wanted to comment on that ) she was displaying the characteristics of someone who was being condescending or patronizing.

Anyway, I hope that everyone has a very happy Easter. I know that it is difficult to advise without sounding authoritative, but again I think it is important to try to uphold a sense of empathy if you think that someone has a problem. (Even if you think that they caused it). Example being: I have too many dang chickens because I bought too many dang chickens.

I'd also like to add that I was originally supposed to have 8 chickens, but I had 13 of my original batch die (6 were supposed to be for my mother-in-law, and 6 of them were supposed to be for my mom). We bought more chicks and received replacement chicks to make up for potential losses in the second batch. They stopped dying, therefore we ended up with a lot of chickens. CRAP happens. Chicken Math is ruthless and leaves no survivors.

Earlier in this forum I mentioned that we were going to upsize once we made decisions. At least I believe I insinuated that. I thought that Mrs. K was commenting on that. In other words, I thought she was criticizing that we hadn’t already done so.

If I were to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that is not what she was doing, then that would mean that she didn’t review the previous comments made.

Butttt if that is infact what she did (saw that I said something about waiting to upsize and wanted to comment on that ) she was displaying the characteristics of someone who was being condescending or patronizing.
I see. My guess is she only read a couple of posts in this long thread and didn't see your plans and was trying to be helpful. I've never know Ms K to be anything other than helpful in the time I've been in this forum. She helped us come to a decision on what to do with 9 roosters when I first joined the forum. In this case, A benefit of the doubt is warranted. She is normally very helpful.

I see. My guess is she only read a couple of posts in this long thread and didn't see your plans and was trying to be helpful. I've never know Ms K to be anything other than helpful in the time I've been in this forum. She helped us come to a decision on what to do with 9 roosters when I first joined the forum. In this case, A benefit of the doubt is warranted. She is normally very helpful.
Okay, then benefit of the doubt it is. I trust your input on this because you have been an active, respectful, and helpful part of my thread(s).

@Mrs. K I apologize for my firey response. I figure that you wouldn't have added to this thread if you didn't think you were being helpful. This has been a sensitive subject for my partner and me for the past couple of weeks. Especially since we have decided to rehome a handful of our chickens.

We can leave it at that and allow Bygones to remain Bygones.

Thank you

Chicken Math is ruthless and leaves no survivors.

😂 Yes! We started out with 10 that were supposed to be sexed pullets. Then, I saw two Amerecauna at the farmers market I had to have.

One of them turned out to be a rooster - as did 9 of the sexed pullets. We weren't set up for roos so had to find a home fast.

We also ordered 5 cream legbars. We planned on a rooster for that one. We didn't know about breeders giving extra chicks. But before they got here, David bought 5 at tractor supply. When we went to the breeder to get the ones we ordered, he gave us extra and I didn't even realize it until I counted all the chickens a month later!

David wanted Australorps and the hatchery had a minimum. Then they sent us extra. We built a other coop.

We had planned for Marans and Bielefelders - and of course we're given extra - and David bought hatching eggs. And then we had a hen go broody

Now, we need to reduce our flock size again. We aren't over crowded (we have room for 60) - but of course, most of the "free" chicks turned out to be Roos! As well as 2 from the hatching eggs - and not sure of the sex on the broody babies yet.

It seems to always be a work in progress deciding to build more or not.

Somebody on here has a tagline I love " chicken math is more than addition. It also includes division and subtraction".

😂 Yes! We started out with 10 that were supposed to be sexed pullets. Then, I saw two Amerecauna at the farmers market I had to have.

One of them turned out to be a rooster - as did 9 of the sexed pullets. We weren't set up for roos so had to find a home fast.

We also ordered 5 cream legbars. We planned on a rooster for that one. We didn't know about breeders giving extra chicks. But before they got here, David bought 5 at tractor supply. When we went to the breeder to get the ones we ordered, he gave us extra and I didn't even realize it until I counted all the chickens a month later!

David wanted Australorps and the hatchery had a minimum. Then they sent us extra. We built a other coop.

We had planned for Marans and Bielefelders - and of course we're given extra - and David bought hatching eggs. And then we had a hen go broody

Now, we need to reduce our flock size again. We aren't over crowded (we have room for 60) - but of course, most of the "free" chicks turned out to be Roos! As well as 2 from the hatching eggs - and not sure of the sex on the broody babies yet.

It seems to always be a work in progress deciding to build more or not.

Somebody on here has a tagline I love " chicken math is more than addition. It also includes division and subtraction".
I love that!! I’m going to be using that on my TikTok page😭🤣 I need to figure out who to give credit to if I do 😅

Back
Top Bottom