How to dye young chicks BRIGHT colors?

Adrien515

Songster
Aug 18, 2015
Cleveland, Tx
First of all- I do NOT want your opinion if you think I should be dying them or not. I was looking at other posts and got a big face full of people's unwanted opinions. The "Is chick dying humane or not" section on BYC is like watching Pro-Trump people and No-Trump people have a nuclear war. Please. I. Do. Not. Want. To. Hear. Negativities. I have made my decision and I want to dye chicks. Dying them is no more inhuman as it is for us to dye our own hair. They do not care and if taken certain precautionaries, it doesn't harm them and it isn't forever. Sorry for being harsh. I have done my reasearch and I understand what is bad for them and what is not. I have read the laws and rules for my state and county and how to further protect my chicks. I have hem at a age they won't get chilled at, and I've dyed chicks before with food coloring but it always comes out light, like a pastel color. I only have yellow chicks and I'm wondering if there's anything non toxic I can add to the food coloring to make them brighter? Or maybe apply more? Food coloring is too expensive to put in a bowl big enough to dip them in it. I'm stuck with scrubbing them with a toothbrush or a cotton ball. I'm not trying to achieve neon, I just want a little more solid color. I'm not willing to inject dye into eggs, or color them above the neck.

Although I don't recommend this. You don't dip them. You add food coloring to a large bowl and swirl them around. Like tossing a salad. (Check youtube) this is for the original poster so everyone else stay off my back. they asked and I answered

Last edited:
Although I don't recommend this. You don't dip them. You add food coloring to a large bowl and swirl them around. Like tossing a salad. (Check youtube) this is for the original poster so everyone else stay off my back. they asked and I answered
Oh.. that doesn't sound pleasant. Thank you for your response tho

Having some experience with human hair dyeing and (NOT using human hair dye) staining my parade mare's mane, tail, and coat - I can tell you that getting brighter colors requires removing the protective layer of the hair, at least to some degree. After checking the composition of feathers, I think you'd need to do something similar. I wouldn't recommend doing that to chicks as that protective layer serves the very important function of keeping the chick warm and dry.

That being said, if you will check out natural vegetable STAINS you might find something like blueberry juice concentrate (no added sugars) or beet juice that could possibly work. I've used both on my mare. Be sure to keep them warm, and dry well, whatever you do.

Back
Top Bottom