Hurricane flipped coop, now chickens wont sleep in nesting area at night.

rjg3rjg

Hatching
Oct 17, 2024
So Hurricane Helene came through our town in SC. Destroyed alot, including flipping my 1000 pound chicken coop while my chickens were in their sleeping/nesting area. Luckily it wasnt TERRIBLY damaged. But it Killed 2, trapped 1, and flung the other 2 out. Leaving them vulnerable for the next few hours. The 3 survivors were not harmed much if at all. But I'm POSITIVE it was very traumatizing. Now, they'll go in the run at night (they're free range during the day). They'll even go in the nesting area to lay eggs. But they will NOT stay in the nesting area. It's now getting down into the low 30s at night. Lower soon. Im afraid they would rather freeze to death instead of going into their heated nesting box now because it was so traumatizing. What should I do? I love my chickens and my whole family is upset enough about losing 2. What can I do?? PLEASE HELP!!!

Wait till they are asleep, pick them up, move them back in. You may have to repeat for each of the next several nights.

Chickens are prey animals, they fear change. Having a coop flipped is... change.

They will quickly return to normal behaviors.
Thank you for the reply! However I'm unable to get close without them waking because of the coop set up. I have However been picking them up and putting them in. But they just keep coming out. It hasn't helped yet. Should I not l et them free range for a few days? What else would you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom