I CALLED ABOUT A CHICKEN SWAP FOR TRACTOR SUPPLY IN AUGUSTA MAINE

Being a newbie with all this I would like to ask how or where to get a chicken tested.

What is tested & for what?

Is testing required to sell and/or show birds?

bob

from what I understand you only need to be NPIP tested to show. they do have a "basket show" in farmington (summer time sometime) and they do testing at the door. it was $1/bird last yr. and you did not need to be showing to be tested, you could just bring your birds.

Quote:
No AI required for Maine yet. CT. is the only State we have run into this as far as showing. Maine does require waterfowl to be pullorum-typhoid tested, tho.

Quote:
Right now the Basket show is set for August 2nd, will post more information as soon as I hear back from that club
smile.png

Skowhegan Fairgrounds would be great. Plenty of parking, shade, under cover set up. So long as it is well advertised.

interesting, I wonder about insurance?
I know there is a thing that people with livestock can get this event insurance but I don't know any else about it.
also TSC in skowhegan said we could have the event there, it's just the 6 chick minimum /or 8 weeks old tie up that is causing the problem right now.
once we get a final ruling on that of how the chicken clubs are able to do it, then we will be all set.

Last edited:
The chicken clubs don't usually have young chicks for sale at their functions, most everything is very close to 4-6 months old, most breeders we know grow them out before selling to see what they may have for breeding or show stock. I'm sure the law would apply to everyone the clubs would not be any different if they were selling in a public place.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom