I need a vet who will set a broken Humerus on my daughter's 2month old chicken.

Hopefully someone near Kansas City will answer you. How did she break her wing? Is there broken skin? Lightly wrapping a wing in a normal position against the body can be helpful. Page 16 of this splinting manual might help as well:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
It was an accident- my 5 year old was waving a stick and ended up hitting her. she has a broken Humerus- as an emergency measure a vet x-rayed and gave her pain meds but said that it was beyond her ability to do anything with it. another vet said that he would see her only if I guaranteed that I would NEVER eat the eggs. Another vet that usually sees them left for a conference. I have called a lot of vets today... 90% said no the others said only if it has a non orthopedic need. :(

Is the wing hanging down? Is there a break in the skin? Broken skin could be a compound fracture, and then I would paint some Betadine (povidone iodine) on the skin to disinfect it. I would probably wrap it in a natural position to the body not too tight with a strip of gauze or 1 inch strip of vet wrap. Wrap it around the broken wing to the body, leaving the other wing out. Things like this can happen, and as long as the chick is eating and drinking, and getting around, they can recover well. Do you have any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom