I was greeted with this!

BackyardinWales

Songster
Mar 19, 2024
😲

Shocked to see a LOT of feathers when I entered the girls run this afternoon. Is this how the place looks when one is moulting? I did a head count and all my girls are alive and accounted for.

Attachments

• IMG-20240906-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240906-WA0000.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 26
Yes, molt looks like that. During the height of molt in my flock of fourteen, I pick up about a gallon of feathers a day.

Find the chicken that matches the color of those discarded feathers and look on the back of their neck. If you see a uniform patch of pin feathers poking through the skin, it's definitely from molt.

Thank you!! I know which hen she is as she's the only dark one running around looking lost, I wondered if she was missing her 'sister' who's broody. Have put them to bed for the night, so will try and look tomorrow. Was more relieved it wasn't a dead one.

That's what molt looks like - a slaughter.

It's normal for a chicken in molt to be stand-offish at best, and acting lethargic at worst. They feel tender and uncomfortable and may have poor appetites. I generally feed mine fish once a week during molt to help their nutrition.

That's what molt looks like - a slaughter.

It's normal for a chicken in molt to be stand-offish at best, and acting lethargic at worst. They feel tender and uncomfortable and may have poor appetites. I generally feed mine fish once a week during molt to help their nutrition.
Thank you, I will try that. It also explains why she was letting the younger ones eat the grain at bedtime. How long will this last? (Approximately)

I did pick her up to see ... and I'd say yes, she felt like a porcupine so put her down quite quickly. Also gave them some tinned tuna. Not sure how much she got, but the plate was CLEANED lol. Thank you for your wisdom.

Yep that's normal. This is the time of year they molt. My coop has way more feathers on the ground right now lol every year once they are done molting I need to rake up the feathers

Back
Top Bottom