Illinois...

I haven't posted a lot lately, so here's some catching up.

DW is VERY pregnant. We hit the 8 month mark yesterday. Another 4 weeks only, could be 2 for all we know. :celebrate

We (I actually) are going to be sending a drake to freezer camp this weekend. It would be done already but I had to leave for a business trip. There's 2 drakes and 3 duckettes ("duck" just didn't do it for me for the females), so that's 1 too many drakes just.

The ducks are laying eggs, unfortunately they lay everywhere. In the pond, in the gravel around the pond, in the grass and in the duck house (at least the eggs are where I want them sometimes). I am waiting ti find an egg on the door step - that would be convenient. :lau

The turkeys are getting bigger and bigger, and looking tastier and tastier. I do want to keep 2 od the 4 around for the occasional egg though and as pets.

All the chickens are doing well. Some are laying eggs, most are molting at the moment. I switched everybody to meat bird to provide some extra protien during their molt.

The quail are content in their new home in the garage. There's a bunch of males I separated from the covey. I need to select the breeders and send the rest to the freezer soon. I might do that with the drake this weekend.

Last edited:
I haven't posted a lot lately, so here's some catching up.

DW is VERY pregnant. We hit the 8 month mark yesterday. Another 4 weeks only, could be 2 for all we know. :celebrate

We (I actually) are going to be sending a drake to freezer camp this weekend. It would be done already but I had to leave for a business trip. There's 2 drakes and 3 duckettes ("duck" just didn't do it for me for the females), so that's 1 too many drakes just.

The ducks are laying eggs, unfortunately they lay everywhere. In the pond, in the gravel around the pond, in the grass and in the duck house (at least the eggs are where I want them sometimes). I am waiting ti find an egg on the door step - that would be convenient. :lau

The turkeys are getting bigger and bigger, and looking tastier and tastier. I do want to keep 2 od the 4 around for the occasional egg though and as pets.

All the chickens are doing well. Some are laying eggs, most are molting at the moment. I switched everybody to meat bird to provide some extra protien during their molt.

The quail are content in their new home in the garage. There's a bunch of males I separated from the covey. I need to select the breeders and send the rest to the freezer soon. I might do that with the drake this weekend.
Hope you get the processing done soon as well as any other poultry/ yard stuff. Your schedule's about to really change. Can't wait to see your pics when the baby arrives.

BTW- My DD was 4 weeks early and DS was 10 days early, so you never know. Both would have been 10+ lb babies if they waited until the due date, so it was blessing.

@Molpet do you know the live weight of your turkey hens when you butcher them? I feel like these girls are getting there. If not now, possibly by Thanksgiving. I read numbers that vary from 8-14 lbs depending on the heritage breed.
I have never butchered a hen. @Faraday40 did one and dressed was 6lbs

She may have been 7lbs. I thought it would have been more but the taste was very, very good.
Do you know what the live weight was prior to butcher?
Or how old the hen was?

I haven't weighed the turkey hens yet, but want to weigh them before slaughter to see if it's worth slaughtering two of them yet. Trying to figure out the amount of meat I will get per pound of live bird... I would like an 8lb cleaned bird if possible, so do I need a 12lb live bird? More/less?

Or how old the hen was?

I haven't weighed the turkey hens yet, but want to weigh them before slaughter to see if it's worth slaughtering two of them yet. Trying to figure out the amount of meat I will get per pound of live bird... I would like an 8lb cleaned bird if possible, so do I need a 12lb live bird? More/less?
I start processing jakes at 6 months, ... which would be about January for yours ....they have been 10 to 17lbs dressed... no live weights
yours hatched June 8th through 12th

Or how old the hen was?

I think 7lbs is about the max I could have gotten from my turkey hen. I didn't weigh her before. (Had to get it done & over quickly for my sake.) She hatched June 21 & was processed in early April, so about 9 months - adult & laying.
IMG_5525.JPG IMG_5528.JPG

Back
Top Bottom