Incubating

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So peep laid her 19th egg (over a 2+week span) this morning

I’ve incubated her eggs even though the first batch is usually not fertile. Her first egg cracked in the incubator and was filled with green goopy bacteria.

The rest seem to not be bacteria filled but I honestly can’t tell if any are going to turn into duckling

I’ve seen some things on line what to look for but honestly Peeps shells are fairly thick on some of her eggs so seeing any detail when candling is tough.

Only thing that stands out is the yolk in some seem to be expanding greatly but can’t make out any veins or anything through the shell

Could the expanding yolks be a sign of duckling development? Or just bacteria building up? The growing yolks seem to be more on her more recent eggs than the first few that she layed

What are you using to candle with ? I used to use a flashlight with a toilet paper tube. I worked okay. This spring I got a light specifically made to candle for about 15 dollars on Amazon. It works much better and we can see many defined veins on day 7

What are you using to candle with ? I used to use a flashlight with a toilet paper tube. I worked okay. This spring I got a light specifically made to candle for about 15 dollars on Amazon. It works much better and we can see many defined veins on day 7

The incubator has a build in “candle” that sits in a well where you can rest an egg on it and light the egg up. It works good but just can’t see more than the shadowy form of the yolk through it

I started with some ancona eggs I got off Ebay, within 4 days of incubating I could see signs of growth in most of them. I used a small pocket flashlight sold by Incubator Warehouse that came with the incubator.

This pic is from day 7 I believe.

IMG_20200729_092244_453.jpg

Back
Top Bottom