INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@LocosHuevos

Sometimes chickens can be tough cookies. If you can get the wound cleaned out and either put on some Nustock, an antibiotic cream NO ADDED PAIN RELIEVER, or even a Dakin's solution if you don't have anything else http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Dakins_Solution.pdf (This is what is in Vetricyn).

For pain relief you can use aspirin in the drinking water. See this article for amounts. It's important not to use this if there are internal injuries. This article may have some good advice overall to help: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/04/how-to-care-for-injured-chicken-and.html

Definitely need to be sure she's drinking plain water as much as you can. Don't force water down her...she could aspirate if done improperly. But you can often get them to at least get a little down by getting the beak wet. There's also a recipe for an electrolyte solution in that article if needed. I like to see them have regular water as much as possible.

Hello everyone. I have a question for those on here with much more experience than me. Last year we got our first chickens (2 RIR, 2 BR). This year we wanted to add some more so we got a couple of Easter Eggers, a Black [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Australorp and a Americana. We built an A frame coop to act as a quarantine coop. We keep them separated for a month and then last week moved the coop next to the older hens coop so they could see but not touch each other when the older girls were free ranging. Yesterday we moved the new group in with the older girls and now the new girls are terrified. They stay in the corner on a perch in the run. They are getting water and food because when the older girls go outside the run to free range they take the chance and eat drink and dust. But as soon as the older girls come inside back to the corner perch in the run. There has been some pecking and chasing but no one has been injured or bullied to much. Also last night and tonight I have to pick them up from the corner perch after dark and move them into the coop. This is our first time adding chickens and was just wondering if this was normal? If so how long will this last and if not what can we do to "fix" the problem. By the way the Easter Eggers and Australorp are around 15 weeks old and Americana is around a year old (rehomed from another person).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Thanks to anyone for advise. Below is a few pics of our new girls.[/COLOR]

Greetings Indiana Chicken Friends!

After years of wanting, saying, and contemplating the city ordinance against chickens, we finally got three fluffy babies June 16th. Though I tried to get the process started before we got them, my builders are finally in process (older son and hubby). It is Summer, and they have a good yard, so we're managing okay, and they should have their coop inside an existing kennel by September for sure. We've been bringing them inside at night, but it just occurred to me, from a forum post here, that we could take their dog cage outside now, shelter it, and shut them in that at night.

Over the past few years, I had noticed and talked to a few people who have chickens in town, one across the street from the police station. As we finally dug in, I checked online, as I had easily found it before, and I am glad to say that it appears our town has dropped anything specifically about chickens, since nuisance and roaming animal laws will cover anyone not taking good care. Indiana state law already says, "No roosters." That's a bit of a relief.

I have been reading a few things on Backyard Chickens for a few months and decided I should join up, since we are among your ranks for real.

If you're interested in our kennel coop saga, you can watch the videos here...

Chick Flicks: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmX1BfpEjf-sO-VmpmYpitSpC0I9qScZz

...more to come
Welcome, excited to read about your new adventure!

What a busy summer! Haven't posted much at all, but have kept up reading all the posts! Our fair just wrapped up Saturday evening, so after practically living at the fairgrounds since Thursday of the previous week I'm now trying to catch up on everything. Been tackling the harvest of zucchini & cucumbers
tongue.png
and gave a lime treatment to 92 tomato plants hoping to correct our blossom end rot problem. School starts in 2 days
th.gif
and Friday after school Chloe & I head to Indy for the state fair & the rabbit ambassador competition on Sunday. Hoping to work in a 2nd college visit to U of Indy on Saturday while we're there. We were there this spring for a nursing day visit, but would like to check it out again. Chloe took a CNA course at one of the local nursing homes over spring break, got in her clinical hours and passed her CNA test in June. She's been working at the nursing home - going to try to fit it in with her senior year of high school -- and loves working with the residents there. She truly has a gift for working with the elderly. I think Chloe's experiences of working with my mom and her dementia while she was still here at home helped develop that passion in her.

This spring was the first since having chickens that we didn't get chicks -- I've been awfully jealous of the cute baby pics that have been posted the past few months! Not sure if we'll get some this fall or wait until spring. I'd like to not get hatchery chicks, but don't know of anyone close who has chicks. We've had a number of our ISA hens die this summer -- some of our original ones. Don't think I'll get more of those again. While they're good egg layers they certainly do seem to have a shorter life span. We like our buff orps and australorps but I'd also be interested in a new breed too...
Wonderful for Chloe, sounds like an exciting thing for her! The other hardy heritage breeds are WL and RIR. Good layers and longevity. Not as common with health issues. Others can speak out as far as endangered breeds.

Hello everybody and good day to you all. I hope everyone's day is going well
1f60a.png
. Sadly for my Rosie (ISA pullet) her day turned horrifying. My neighbor informed me this afternoon when she came home for lunch break, that Rosie had jumped her fence and her dogs started pulling out all of her feathers and may have broken something
1f631.png
. So I hurried next door and found my poor very sweet Rosie under the front bushes looking in a complete daze. I slowly and very carefully picked her up to comfort her and also to see how badly she was hurt. Well as you can see from the one photo her leg is badly hurt but not broken. I have her right now in the pinned in area where the coops are, figured I would make it easy for her, less walking. Is there anything I can do for her? Please help
1f61e.png
, I know she's hurting and I feel so bad for her.
God Bless
1f64f.png

I am so sorry for her! Good advice already. But please bring her in and house her in a crate. You can monitor and give her more support. Treat her wound with antibiotic ointment without "caine". Extra proteins, vitiamins and electrolytes will also help her recover.

Hello everyone. I have a question for those on here with much more experience than me. Last year we got our first chickens (2 RIR, 2 BR). This year we wanted to add some more so we got a couple of Easter Eggers, a Black [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Australorp and a Americana. We built an A frame coop to act as a quarantine coop. We keep them separated for a month and then last week moved the coop next to the older hens coop so they could see but not touch each other when the older girls were free ranging. Yesterday we moved the new group in with the older girls and now the new girls are terrified. They stay in the corner on a perch in the run. They are getting water and food because when the older girls go outside the run to free range they take the chance and eat drink and dust. But as soon as the older girls come inside back to the corner perch in the run. There has been some pecking and chasing but no one has been injured or bullied to much. Also last night and tonight I have to pick them up from the corner perch after dark and move them into the coop. This is our first time adding chickens and was just wondering if this was normal? If so how long will this last and if not what can we do to "fix" the problem. By the way the Easter Eggers and Australorp are around 15 weeks old and Americana is around a year old (rehomed from another person).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Thanks to anyone for advise. Below is a few pics of our new girls.[/COLOR]

Lovely birds! You were given good advice. Adult hens will give pullets some grief. Make sure they get to eat, and especially drink with this heat. Flock integration is hard in small numbers but will work itself out. Your priority is to ensure they get plenty of food and water.

Still fighting with raccoons. They continue to target my grow up pen. We have 5 traps a night set, and since I don't sleep much I am out checking traps all night. And frankly I adore Raccoon. I am just amazed how many there is coming in nightly. Those folks that trap and release please, don't release in south Madison County. The numbers being this high is a huge invitation of disease. The resident animal numbers being so high is open invitation for distemper and parasites. This species is overpopulated, and I don't want to see them die out. With so much local building, they are losing habitat. They really have few predators left, aside from owls going after the babies.

Anytime you trap and release a raccoon, be sure you move them at least 50 miles away to ensure he will not be back. DNR has tracked releases, most boys will travel 30 miles or more to return home. That animal is now smart to humane traps, its rare to catch him again. I post this info because I have worked in the situation as a rehabber for wildlife and Animal Control also. And frankly, I hate to see any animal suffer from distemper. Its a horrible disease for any living thing to endure and recovery is not likely.

Think about the release location. Will it affect another farm? Is there a water supply where they can eat natural food and drink? A field without ponds or creeks will kill that raccoon. Roads with highway speeds nearby will also guarantee its death. If you want to humanely release consider the long term effect to that animal. DNR will give you Ideas on safe locations, if there are any left. Don't just dump that animal out to feel better about him being trapped. Humane trap and release means you make the effort to find a safe place they will survive.

After years of wanting, saying, and contemplating the city ordinance against chickens, we finally got three fluffy babies June 16th. Though I tried to get the process started before we got them, my builders are finally in process (older son and hubby). It is Summer, and they have a good yard, so we're managing okay, and they should have their coop inside an existing kennel by September for sure. We've been bringing them inside at night, but it just occurred to me, from a forum post here, that we could take their dog cage outside now, shelter it, and shut them in that at night.

Over the past few years, I had noticed and talked to a few people who have chickens in town, one across the street from the police station. As we finally dug in, I checked online, as I had easily found it before, and I am glad to say that it appears our town has dropped anything specifically about chickens, since nuisance and roaming animal laws will cover anyone not taking good care. Indiana state law already says, "No roosters." That's a bit of a relief.

I have been reading a few things on Backyard Chickens for a few months and decided I should join up, since we are among your ranks for real.

Chick Flicks: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmX1BfpEjf-sO-VmpmYpitSpC0I9qScZz

...more to come

Hi. Welcome to the site. Glad you took the plunge with chickens. I'm also glad to hear another town has gotten their statutes sorted out to allow chickens.

Just curious. You mention Indiana state law. I'm not aware of anything at that level about chickens one way or another. What were you looking at?

CHIPS chicken:
This behavior sounds pretty typical to me. Unfortunately, it will probably go on for a few months, until everyone finds their new pecking order. As long as everybody stays fed and watered, they will eventually get through it. There may be some feathers ruffled, though, so don't be surprised if it gets a little rough at times.

Perfectly normal. Just give them more time to work out where they stand with each other. They may always socialize as separate groups but should lose fear of each other.

...more to come

State law has nothing against roosters or there wouldn't be any poultry breeders or hatching eggs in the state
wink.png
Local ordinances can say whatever they want about noisy boys, but I'm sure Indiana is a friendlier state to male fowl than to have outright banned them from entry!

So long as the crate's bars/holes are pretty darn small, you could try that. However, you may wind up with predators reaching in and grabbing your girls.

Welcome to the forum!
welcome-byc.gif

This spring was the first since having chickens that we didn't get chicks -- I've been awfully jealous of the cute baby pics that have been posted the past few months! Not sure if we'll get some this fall or wait until spring. I'd like to not get hatchery chicks, but don't know of anyone close who has chicks. We've had a number of our ISA hens die this summer -- some of our original ones. Don't think I'll get more of those again. While they're good egg layers they certainly do seem to have a shorter life span. We like our buff orps and australorps but I'd also be interested in a new breed too...

EEs aren't a "breed" per se, but I've been really happy with mine. They're usually thrifty, smaller, give lots of big eggs that come in every color imaginable, have good survival instincts, and are cold and heat hardy.No one expects to be raising show quality birds from them, so they're also pretty cheap. They're the Forrest Gump's chocolate box of chicken "breeds". Plus, your egg basket will get a lot less monotone. They can lay dark eggs, light eggs, speckled eggs, two-tone eggs, blue eggs, green eggs, olive eggs, avocado eggs, lilac eggs, pink eggs, turquoise eggs, dark brown eggs, mauve eggs, and probably a bunch of colors and shades I haven't seen. Most lay blue and/or green eggs.

EEs have been infused a lot with Leghorns to make them thriftier and lay more. Leghorns--like most other Mediterranean breeds--are thrifty and lay big white eggs pretty often. Heritage Leghorns will live longer, fuller lives and lay less frequently. They don't go broody often (nor do most EEs), but heritage Leghorns do come in several beautiful colors, like: brown (partridge), mille fleur, buff, and exchequer (an exclusively Leghorn color!). Heritage Leghorns are still typically flighty and have great survival instincts. The Minorca is a closely related breed, and other similar breeds include the White-faced Spanish. Industrial Leghorns will give you more eggs than you likely know what to do with, but generally have a shorter lifespan, similar to your sexlinks.

You might also try critical breeds on the ALBC watchlist because they could use your help! Many of these breeds are tremendously good at egg-laying and/or providing meat and are just waiting to surprise us all with their untapped potential. Many are also beautiful and have historical significance.

If you want darker brown eggs, Penedesenca, Welsummers, Bielefelders and Marans are the go-to breeds.

Marans are heavier birds and more cold tolerant, but lately they've become a big fad and so they've been diluted with substandard individuals (and even outright scams). as the popularity seems to have waned out of fad/scam territory, I still advise to get them from a reputable source. Marans come in lots of colors now (black copper, blue copper, splash, wheaten, cuckoo) and may have feathers on their legs (or not).

Bielies have a very small gene pool because they're recently to the states and have been interbred with other birds a lot (particularly with Welsummers). Bielies are a big breed and cold tolerant but fare less well in the heat. Reputed to have minimal survival skills, you should keep 'em cooped up.

Wellies were voted the #1 breed to keep in the event of a zombie apocalypse! They're well camouflaged (partridge color), go broody and raise their own kids, lay speckled camouflaged eggs (and plenty of them), have excellent free ranging skills, are both cold and heat tolerant. Penedesencas are a super rare, exceptionally heat tolerant (less so on the cold), beautiful breed that lays about the darkest egg in the chicken kingdom. They're hard to get a hold of, but I've heard they're excellent birds for the rare person who can acquire some.
Hello everybody and good day to you all. I hope everyone's day is going well
1f60a.png
. Sadly for my Rosie (ISA pullet) her day turned horrifying. My neighbor informed me this afternoon when she came home for lunch break, that Rosie had jumped her fence and her dogs started pulling out all of her feathers and may have broken something
1f631.png
. So I hurried next door and found my poor very sweet Rosie under the front bushes looking in a complete daze. I slowly and very carefully picked her up to comfort her and also to see how badly she was hurt. Well as you can see from the one photo her leg is badly hurt but not broken. I have her right now in the pinned in area where the coops are, figured I would make it easy for her, less walking. Is there anything I can do for her? Please help
1f61e.png
, I know she's hurting and I feel so bad for her.
God Bless
1f64f.png

Blu-kote injuries (it's an antiseptic spray paint, basically). Bathe her to see the wounds more clearly. Put bacitracin (without pain killers) in wound and wrap it up. Give her a place indoors in a crate or plastic tote with plenty of food and clean water. You can use aspirin for pain management, but many pain killers are toxic to birds so avoid other types/brands. You may also wish to start her on an antibiotic (Tylan is pretty versatile and can be given in drinking water or injected). Check her for bruising.

@CHIPSchicken

I agree w the others about the "normal" behavior. One thing I will add:

IN THIS HOT WEATHER, BE SURE TO HAVE SEVERAL WATER STATIONS!

And..
Space those water stations out so they have plenty of room apart from each other.

If they are being bullied away from water they can dehydrate very quickly in the summer heat. We've had one member that lost a bird already this season during the hot weather due to that issue. Even in cooler weather having multiple water/food stations is good in general. It's even more ESSENTIAL when it's hot.

Give them a few days and hopefully things will settle into place as far as pecking order. I do watch closely to be sure no one is being overly harassed so that I can change thing up if needed.

Back
Top Bottom