Injured chick?!

That’s the thing, she’s not swollen anywhere. I have been giving her probiotics and electrolytes in her water. She’s standing on it here, but still isn’t putting full pressure on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 5
I've dealt with slipped tendons, & they can vary from mild, to severe. I've had both cases. I was only able to partially correct the mild case. The one who had a severe case I didn't get to it in time.
Mild slipped tendons don't cause the foot to stick out as much as the severe ones do.

I don't have pictures too share.

Not much improvement in the chick, MacBeth, overnight so this morning I attempted to put the tendon back in place, splinted the leg and improvised a chick sling. She hates it, but hopefully it will help. Time will tell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 6
Not much improvement in the chick, MacBeth, overnight so this morning I attempted to put the tendon back in place, splinted the leg and improvised a chick sling. She hates it, but hopefully it will help. Time will tell.

Can she reach the little food and water bowls? I can't see her head, lol. Also keep in mind that it may heat up faster in that container so be careful with the heat lamp. Fingers crossed for your little one! :fl

Can she reach the little food and water bowls? I can't see her head, lol. Also keep in mind that it may heat up faster in that container so be careful with the heat lamp. Fingers crossed for your little one! :fl
Yes I made sure she can reach it. She is just all tucked under and asleep in that pic lol. I have her on the cooler side of the brooder since she is sitting in a fuzzy sock. I have hesitated to ask the question, but what happens if her leg does not improve? How do I know if she’s in pain? Could she live a quality of life if it doesn’t improve?

Yes I made sure she can reach it. She is just all tucked under and asleep in that pic lol. I have her on the cooler side of the brooder since she is sitting in a fuzzy sock. I have hesitated to ask the question, but what happens if her leg does not improve? How do I know if she’s in pain? Could she live a quality of life if it doesn’t improve?
Her leg isn't too bad, I've had a chick like this, who grew up into a wonderful hen, who lays me an egg everyday. Her leg angled only a little bit more to the outside as she grew up, but she is in no pain, & hobbles around really good.

Was she able to get to food and water before you splinted it? She needs to be given her vitamins orally, and I would take her out every 2 hours and let her try to get around some. If she can get along with a disability she might might, in case the splinting does not work.

Her leg isn't too bad, I've had a chick like this, who grew up into a wonderful hen, who lays me an egg everyday. Her leg angled only a little bit more to the outside as she grew up, but she is in no pain, & hobbles around really good.
Thank you! My daughter has been sitting with her every minute and I was dreading having to tell her bad news.

Thank you! My daughter has been sitting with her every minute and I was dreading having to tell her bad news.
You're Welcome. All I did for my chick, that had this, is I just guided the tendon back into place each time it popped out of place. I'm thinking I should've wrapped it to keep the tendon in place, but I don't know why I didn't do so.

Back
Top Bottom