Injured duck leg

Fairywoodducks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hey all! Last night my border collie was not paying attention and ran over my Khaki Campbell, Amelia. she hurt her leg and I’m not sure where in the leg is hurt. She is standing on her other leg and is using her wing to help her move when she does. I have her separated for the flock and blocked her in a spot with food and water next to her so she can’t move. I can move the leg and I don’t feel any break or dislocation.
I was wondering how to splint her leg? I’m fairly certain with rest she’ll recover and it’s just a strain.

Hey all! Last night my border collie was not paying attention and ran over my Khaki Campbell, Amelia. she hurt her leg and I’m not sure where in the leg is hurt. She is standing on her other leg and is using her wing to help her move when she does. I have her separated for the flock and blocked her in a spot with food and water next to her so she can’t move. I can move the leg and I don’t feel any break or dislocation.
I was wondering how to splint her leg? I’m fairly certain with rest she’ll recover and it’s just a strain.
if she can’t put any weight in it at all, an xray will show where it might be broken, if you are able to see a vet. but if she uses it a little bit, it can heal by rest , and give extra niacin.
i use liquid b complex 1 ml per day on some meal worms or other treat that you know she’ll eat all of it and if she doesn’t, I would use a syringe with no needle attached and give orally
you can feel the legs for a hotspot and put some Epson salt poultice on it wrap with gauze pad and a little Vet wrap to hold it on but as far as splinting, I don’t think you should do that unless you’ve had an x-ray and a vet does it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ions-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/watch

make sure she is eating and drinking-if not you can tube Feed for a while until she’s feeling a little better and eats on her own again. I had a blue runner duck with a broken leg. I got it x-rayed. It was broken, but the vet didn’t splint it. He suggested putting her down or doing a very expensive surgery that he said might not work anyway, I took her home. I tube fed her. She rested in a crate for about six weeks and then she was better.

Attachments

• 5DDD62E2-226C-4F5B-8B2A-2103223BF969.jpeg
    5DDD62E2-226C-4F5B-8B2A-2103223BF969.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom