Injured Guinea Fowl, advice needed: Broke toenails, swollen 5 times to large foot, bumblefoot?

Any advice would help! I purchased 2 female and 1 male adult guineas from an old farmer. When I got them home I noticed the females look to only have have a wing on one side. Is this what clipping the wings looks like? Also both females have a leg that points sideways and the toes are inflamed. The male keeps pecking their feet. I have tried soaking their feet in epson water and spraying a poultry wound spray. The one is getting better but not the other one. I have since separated the male from the females and he is not happy!

Any advice would help! I purchased 2 female and 1 male adult guineas from an old farmer. When I got them home I noticed the females look to only have have a wing on one side. Is this what clipping the wings looks like? Also both females have a leg that points sideways and the toes are inflamed. The male keeps pecking their feet. I have tried soaking their feet in epson water and spraying a poultry wound spray. The one is getting better but not the other one. I have since separated the male from the females and he is not happy!
Number one is that you don't have enough guineas. They are a flock bird and do best in large groups. Sounds like whoever sold them to you took advantage of you by selling you crippled old birds.

You can try "painting" the feet with Blu-Kote to try to stop the pecking at the feet.

Number one is that you don't have enough guineas. They are a flock bird and do best in large groups. Sounds like whoever sold them to you took advantage of you by selling you crippled old birds.

You can try "painting" the feet with Blu-Kote to try to stop the pecking at the feet.
Thank you for the advice. I am trying to locate more females to add but I live fairly remote in Northern Ontario and they are hard to come by. I will try painting their feet for now - hate seeing them in pain!

Thank you for the advice. I am trying to locate more females to add but I live fairly remote in Northern Ontario and they are hard to come by. I will try painting their feet for now - hate seeing them in pain!
You need more males too. The ideal ratio for guineas is 1:1. They tend to pair up. There will be an occasional male that may want more than one hen especially during laying season when his mate has gone broody on a nest.

Back
Top Bottom