Injured Quail Wing

homesteading04

Hatching
Jun 18, 2024
Hello everyone I’m in desperate need of some help, today I found one of my quail hens injured, her wing is hanging low and I picked her up and felt her wing which feels like she has a break in her “elbow” bone. She hates being held so started flapping when I was holding her and opened up what seems to be a wound underneath her wing and it started bleeding a bit. I can’t tell if the bone is sticking out or not, definitely not bone protruding but there is for sure a wound where the injury is. She is eating and drinking and still preening, doesn’t seem to be in to much pain. I have sprayed it generously with Vetercyn and she did not enjoy that one bit lol. I try not to bother her with handling bc she hates it so much it stresses her and me out. She is separated with feed, plain water, electrolytes, and some scrambled egg. Any advise on what I can do for her other than what I’ve already done? I don’t think wrapping is an option because of how wild she is. I’m worried about infection, and healing. Any tips on how to make her better would be greatly appreciated.:hugs I attached a photo of her below, it’s not the best, but once again she is not compliant with me holding her. The blood and wetness is from be giving it a good deep clean to hopefully prevent infection, she now has no blood on her anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_4836.png
    IMG_4836.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
Unless you want to take her to a vet, it sounds like you're doing what you can for her. The key things are to keep her clean, which will be easier since you have her separated and in a clean environment.

If you can, you might give her a saline rinse to make sure the wound is clean, but the vetericyn is probably enough for now. Keep an eye open for signs of infection, though.

Do you know how she got her injury? The broken wing is probably from flushing, but the wound underneath makes me wonder if a rat or something got into her home.

Unless you want to take her to a vet, it sounds like you're doing what you can for her. The key things are to keep her clean, which will be easier since you have her separated and in a clean environment.

If you can, you might give her a saline rinse to make sure the wound is clean, but the vetericyn is probably enough for now. Keep an eye open for signs of infection, though.

Do you know how she got her injury? The broken wing is probably from flushing, but the wound underneath makes me wonder if a rat or something got into her home.
Thank you so much for the reply, I will definitely make sure to keep it as clean as I can! I’m not sure what caused her injury I’m assuming the poor girl flushed and hit into something causing her skin to open underneath, praying she heals up ❤️🙏

Thank you so much for the reply, I will definitely make sure to keep it as clean as I can! I’m not sure what caused her injury I’m assuming the poor girl flushed and hit into something causing her skin to open underneath, praying she heals up ❤️🙏
If she flushed, the injury would probably be on the outside rather than underneath. I would double check her home for any holes more than 1/2". A rat could get in.

Back
Top Bottom